January 18, 2010

Ding Dong The CYST Is Dead

MINNEAPOLIS - JANUARY 17:  Quarterback Tony Romo #9 of the Dallas Cowboys walks off the field after being defeated 34-3 by the Minnesota Vikings during the NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome on January 17, 2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
That's right, its over, the Cowboys Yankee Stadium Theory is dead. It passed away at approximately 4pm yesterday in Minneapolis, Minnesota after being shot 6 times due to lack of protection. I know, very sad.

Okay, let me stop lol.

Now of course I'm mad disappointed about my team losing, but it definitely doesn't feel like the end of the world this time around. I don't know if its because we finally got our playoff win, or because there are people all over (and especially in Haiti) dealing with REAL problems, but it just doesn't seem that bad this year. That's a beautiful thing. I mean, I'm more pissed about the Vikings running up the score at the end than about losing the game itself.

(Side note: I should probably feel a lot worse considering our 2010 season is most likely gonna be a wash. Did you see our schedule?? We play the Saints, Titans, Bears, Jags, and Lions at home, and the Colts, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Texans away. Oh, and then there's the matter of the other 3 NFC East teams with play twice each. That's some tough shit. I ain't saying we're going 0-16, but the playoffs definitely aren't guaranteed with that on the schedule on the horizon.)

Now, I'd like to take this time out to thank all the millions (and millions) of ESPN, FoxSports, CBS Sports, and all other so-called "analysts" and media members who jumped all over the Cowboys' bandwagon. I knew you'd be our downfall. Thanks.

Okay, okay, I guess this is the point where I'm supposed to place the blame on somebody actually on the team for the loss. I've heard a lot of blame put on Tony Romo, some blame put on Shaun Suisham, I even heard somebody blame Jerry Jones oddly enough. (Actually, it wasn't just "some person," it was Ryan Clark of the Pittsburgh Steelers on First Take this morning.)

Me, I'm not gonna place the blame on any one person, it was a team loss. If a gun was put to my head, I'd blame the offensive line, but it wasn't their fault Flozell Adams got hurt. That was the biggest problem right there though. Bottom line, we had trouble with protection when Flo was playing, but it was a free-for-all once he left the game early in the 2nd quarter. In the one quarter and less than 3 minutes Flo played, we gained 141 yards. We only gained 107 more the rest of the game. Its hard to get things going when your quarterback is on his butt majority of the game. In fact, I knew the game was over at half time because of this, but again, its no one's fault Flo got hurt, shit just happens.

Anyway, the good thing about this loss is that football fans can finally see that penalties themselves really don't matter, its when they occur that happens. Last week against the Eagles we had 14 penalties for 112 yards and won by 20, yesterday we had 2 for 10 and lost by 31 (or actually by 17 because that's what it was when we threw in the towel and the Vikings decided to run the score up).

In closing, I guess there's always next year... or uh, maybe 2011. I won't be as interested in football the rest of the way, but I do hope the Saints beat the brakes off the Vikings next Sunday. Those guys are fuckers and they need their ass whipped for trying to embarrass my 'Boys by running up the score. Lets go Saints!