March 05, 2010

Random News Shit: NFL Headlines Edition

SAN DIEGO - JANUARY 17:  Running back LaDainian Tomlinson #21 of the San Diego Chargers warms up on the field prior to the AFC Divisional Playoff Game against the New York Jets at Qualcomm Stadium on January 17, 2010 in San Diego, California.
Yeah, I know this is all old news, but I had to get it out the way before I moved forward with the free agency Friday column.

1) Chargers Release LaDainian Tomlinson
I guess A.J. Smith finally saw the "L.T. Electric Glide" video.

Seriously though, this had to happen. I know L.T. is one of the all-time greats, but he's doner than done right now. He was done 2 years ago actually (which is why they should've never let Michael Turner walk), but the Chargers just kept him around out of loyalty and appreciation for what he's done.

Hey, maybe somebody will be foolish enough to pick him up, but don't expect anything anytime soon.

2) Eagles Release Brian Westbrook
Like the L.T. move, this was also a no-brainer. Even if Westbrook didn't have those 2 concussions last season, it was still time for him to go because he's always hurt. And as a Cowboy fan I'm glad to see him go!

Hey Brian, RETIRE!

3) Jets Release Thomas Jones, Avoid Signing Bonus
Unlike Tomlinson and Westbrook before him, Thomas Jones actually had a great year last year. The guy rushed for 1,400 yards and 14 TDs last year and the Jets didn't wanna pay the man his $3 million roster bonus or his $2.8 million base salary. That was a bitch move seeing the guy played for $900,000 last year, coming off a 2008 season where he rushed for 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. Basically he got gang raped by the Jets organization.

I would be lying if I told you I felt totally bad for the guy. I mean, he's never done anything to me personally, but a few years ago he was dating my baby Meagan Good and I've had one-sided beef with him ever since. Hmmm, maybe some in the Jets organization feel the same way I do and that's the reason behind the raw deal?? Who's to know?? lol.

4) Jerry Jones Expects 10-11 Changes On Cowboys' Roster
Gotdamn Jerry! I know Jerry is getting old, but 10-11 new players after the season we had last year?? Well I hope 1 of those 10-11 that are ousted is Roy Williams' garbage ass. We probably could've won even more than 11 games last year had we not buried Miles Austin on the bench the first 4 games in hopes that Roy would finally pan out.

Another guy who is probably vulnerable is Ken Hamlin. The rest of the changes will come along the offensive line as Flozell Adams may have played his last snap as a Dallas Cowboy. After the way that playoff game in Minnesota went after he left, I'm not sold on that just yet. Welp, we shall see what happens once the draft arrives. I'm so glad so many positions on our rosters are secured.

5) Cardinals Cut Antrel Rolle
Hmm, speaking of Cowboys roster moves, I can't say I'd mind Rolle back there at safety in place of Ken Hamlin. Ken is good, but Antrel is just better. The Cardinals are tripping' right now.

6) NFL Considers Changing OT Format For Playoffs
First off, I wanna pat the Sports Guy Bill Simmons on the back because this is pretty much exactly what he suggested back in his February 8th playoff column. Really it was, just click this link and scroll down to 9:25, its the same shit.

Anyway, I like the idea, but why limit it to the playoffs?? If you're going to adopt this, why not make it for the regular season as well?? Beats me.