March 06, 2010

Random News Shit: SportsCenter On DVR Edition

Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson arrives to warm up before playing against the Denver Nuggets in their NBA basketball game in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, December 7, 2009. Iverson has returned to the 76ers after being traded to the Nuggets in 2006.
More old news, but I wanted to hit it so we can get back to neutral.

1) Allen Iverson To Miss Rest Of Season
This may be it, but for real this time. I don't know how sick is 4 year-old daughter is, but if her illness doesn't clear up, he'll probably never return because family comes first. He shouldn't need the money (emphasis on shouldn't), so this is probably the sad end to a magnificent career. Good luck to A.I. and his little girl, I'm positive this is harder to deal with than any challenges he's ever face in the NBA.

2) LeBron Files Paperwork To Wear No. 6 Next Season
This is so wack to me. I know he's trying to sell the whole "paying homage to Jordan" thing, but I'm not buying it. Legends like Bill Russell and Julius Erving donned the #6 jersey, what they don't deserve homage too?? LeBron is a student of the game, I'm sure he knows all-time greats have worn #6 as well as #23.

I don't get it though. I know I'm not as extreme as Skip Bayless, who thinks Bron is ditching the number to get from under Jordan's shadow of expectations, but there is something else going on. And its NOT just to sell more jerseys, with all the money he's making, jersey sales are probably the least of his concern. Oh well only time will tell, I guess.

3) Hasheem Thabeet Sent Down To D-League
Back in June, a wise man said Hasheem Thabeet was "destined to be Stromile Swift 2.0." I wonder who that wise man was?? Oh yeah, it was me! By being sent down to the D-League, Thabeet becomes the highest draft pick ever to have that done to him. Man, its a good thing they didn't take Tyreke Evans, Steph Curry, or Brandon Jennings with that 2nd overall pick.

Here's an idea, the next time the Grizzlies are in the lottery, maybe they should try avoiding the 2nd overall pick because they are 2 for 2 in #2 pick busts since 2000. First there was Stromile Swift, and now there's Thabeet. (And they didn't exactly have much luck with the #2 overall pick pre-2000 either. They got 3 decent seasons out of 1998 #2 pick Mike Bibby before trading him to Sacramento, but 1999 #2 pick Steve Francis didn't even want to play for the franchise and cried until he forced a trade to Houston.)

4) Ocho Cinco, Andrews On New DWTS Cast
That's right, now Chad Ocho Cinco...I mean, Chad Johnson (remember he said he's change his name back if Darrelle Revis shut him down) will have the opportunity to dance and act a fool without Dictator Goodell throwing thousands of dollars worth of fines at him.

Also joining Ocho Cinco Johnson this season will be ESPN sideline reporter, and white woman of my dreams, Erin Andrews, fine ass singer Nicole Scherzinger, former Bay Watcher and sextaper Pamela Anderson, astronaut Buzz Aldrin, actors Shannen Doherty, Aiden Turner, and big booty Niecy Nash, and reality stars Kate Gosselin, and Jake Pavelka.

The new season starts March 22nd.