March 09, 2010

This Week In Flops 3/9/10

Battle Of The Sexes
Before I begin, I just want to say how disappointed I am that Shawnna left Ludacris hanging on the making of this Battle Of The Sexes album. Now instead of getting a bunch of incredible Luda and Shawnna collabos, we get a gang of lame features by the likes of Nicki Minaj, Gucci Mane, and Flo Rida. Awesome. Shawnna is still featured on 2 tracks on the album (3 if you count the bonus track Rollercoaster with her and Dru Hill), but I would have preferred much more because I refuse to acknowledge this as a Ludacris solo album.

Now as far as the album sales goes, this should be interesting. Ever since Luda debuted the track at the BET Hip-Hop Awards last fall, How Low has been buzzing in the streets, and now on mainstream radio as it rests in the top 10 on the Hot 100. We'll soon see how much that even matters because Sade has dominated the Billboard 200 the last few weeks and Soldier Of Love never even sniffed the top 40 (though they do play the music video a lot on VH1 Soul...I know, meaningless information lol).

The album has received a decent amount of buzz with all the remixes and tracks floating around the internets, but I don't know how smart it was to drop an album on "National R.I.P. B.I.G. Day." I mean, Def Jam had to know all of everyone's attention would be on Biggie today. Maybe they thought they didn't need all of their sales days to have an impact?? Who knows the logic of record labels these days.

My guess for this, uhhh, compilation album (?), is 160-200k.