September 27, 2011

This Week In Flops 9/27/11

This Week In Flops took a little break (okay, a 6 month break), but with that virus forcing me into a dry spell, I figured there was no better time than now to bring it back. It also didn't hurt that I'm now pretty sure J. Cole's album is going to flop.

Look, I'm a major J. Cole supporter, but Cole World is about to flop as hard as that wall the Situation ran into in Italy. Tonight a friend and I spent about 2 hours searching Best Buy and Target for his debut album only to come up empty. On the surface that's a great thing, because it means the album is selling. Then I realized there just wasn't many copies on display to begin with (the exact opposite of Lil Wayne albums because sadly there were rows and rows of Tha Carter IV and I Am Not A Human Being). That's not a good thing because fans can want to buy your album all they want, but they can't make the purchase if the albums isn't there.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how many copies Sony shipped, but I can see the "It's the label's fault, the album was undershipped" headlines in the distance. I'm going to continue to try to find a physical copy of the album, but I'm expecting low numbers next week when the SoundScan drops. I'm going with 25-50k for Cole.

**UPDATE**
First, I finally found a copy of Cole World. Thank goodness! And second, apparently Broward County stores were the only ones understocked because "industry prognosticators" say J. Cole's debut is headed for sales of 240,000-250,000 and the #1 spot. Man, it would be insane if that comes to fruition because Cole definitely never found his Slow Jamz.