May 01, 2012

Gregg Popovich Wins Coach Of The Year

How is this only Gregg Popovich's 2nd Coach Of The Year Award? I figured he would've won it at least 3 or 4 times by now, but nope, just one other time in 2003. Four championships don't get you what it used to.

Anyway, Pop was the obvious choice, the Spurs finished with the best record in the league all while resting their starters periodically. No problem there. My issue with this award is the fact that guys like Vinny Del Negro, Kevin McHale, and Monty Williams (21-45, worst in West) all got votes, while Erik Spoelstra received 0. What the fuck is that? I'm not saying the guy should've been in the top 3, but if Vinny Del Negro can get votes while nearly getting fired in March, I don't see why Coach Spo couldn't even get 1. I'm just saying.

SOURCE