February 07, 2010

NFL Winners & Losers: Super Bowl XLIV

Super Bowl XLIV
Colts (16-2) vs. Saints (15-3)
Colts, Saints. Saints, Colts. Which way is the right way to go?? I don't know. And guess what?? I don't care. That's right, I said it, I don't care! Am I gonna watch the game?? Of course, but do I care who wins?? Not in the least bit.

Yes, that may sound like blasphemy to people who know me as a diehard football fan, but that's seriously how I feel about this year's game. Not only do I not have a dog in this race, but for me, this game suffers mightily from Venus-Serena disease.

If you're not familiar with the term, its when 2 likable entities are forced to play each other, but its so hard to choose between the 2 that you end up not caring who wins. Its like, you're happy for both, but it doesn't feel right rooting against either, so you don't root at all. That's never any good in sports. At all times we need a hero and a villain, a good guy and a bad guy. Super Bowl XLIV is deprived of this dynamic, and that's why I'm definitely not that psyched to watch.

At the end of the day, here's the deal: Do I really want to root against Peyton Manning?? The guy is one of, if not the most, likable people in sports today. On the other hand, do I want to cheer that the city of New Orleans is dealt another L?? All they've ever done was lose, so it'd be nice to see them get one.

I'm stuck! I can feel my interest level continuously dropping as we speak.

Screw it, I'm gonna take the Saints to win. Do I feel strongly about it?? No. Do I even have any real reasoning as to why I think they're going to win?? No. I'm gonna keep it funky with you, the main factor in my decision to go with the Saints is the fact that Adam Carolla bet on the Colts. If you're a fan of either he or Bill Simmons, you know what terrible luck he has gambling, so it only make sense to go opposite the Ace man if you have no no other way to go. That's all I got got. Saints winners, Colts losers.

Playoffs Record: 5-6 (.455)
Regular Season Record: 167-88 (.655)