February 07, 2011

The Green Bay Packers Are Your Super Bowl XLV Champions

Green Bay Packers  MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers celebrates with the Vince Lombardi trophy after the Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL's Super Bowl XLV football game in Arlington, Texas, February 6, 2011. Rodgers was voted MVP of the game.
Welp, I definitively said the Pittsburgh Steelers would win the Super Bowl, and the Green Bay Packers came and took it from them. I really can't believe that Lil Wayne Green & Yellow freestyle didn't have any effect on the outcome. I guess the cheesiness of lines like "I'm up in this bitch with more blood than a blood vessel" only served to power on the Cheeseheads.

At the end of the day, the "Brett Favre shit sundae" factor (the worst way a horrible year could end for Brett would be with his replacement in Green Bay winning a Super Bowl) proved to be too strong. I knew that factor loomed since I listened to Kevin Hench bring it up on Adam Carolla's podcast last Friday, but I chose to ignore it. My bad.

Another factor I chose to ignore was the "Dave Dameshek at a Steelers game" factor. On Friday night I finally decided to listen to episode LXI of Daves Of Thunder and at the beginning Jacuzzi Pete said Dave Dameshek would be out next week because he was on assignment at the Super Bowl. On a recent episode of DOT, Dameshek was talking about how the Steelers always lose when he goes to their games (the 2004 AFC Championship game in their 15-1 season being one of them). For whatever reason I chose to ignore that as well. My bad.

BUT let me not get too caught up in these "factors," and ignore the fact that the Steelers played an awful game. I'm amazed they even had a shot at the end after how bad they played. I give Green Bay credit for sealing the deal, but they let a team hang around after turning the ball over 3 times. That's unacceptable. Great teams would've demolished the Steelers the way they played Sunday. I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but the win wasn't that impressive. Aaron Rodgers was impressive, but the Packers weren't as a team. Oh well, a win is a win.

The last thing I wanted to talk about is Green Bay being called "Titletown." Every single year I have to hear idiots talk about how the Dallas Cowboys are no longer America's Team, but nobody ever challenges Green Bay being called Titletown. Why? Last night gave Green Bay its 4th Super Bowl victory, there's 3 teams with more titles than them (Cowboys, 49ers, and Steelers)! We all know the Cowboys have the biggest fan base, so I don't know why we can't continue being America's Team unchallenged if Green Bay can be Titletown with less Super Bowls than 3 teams.

And last, but not least, doesn't it look like Clay Matthews is telling Aaron Rodgers to smell his finger in this picture?

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews (L) and MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers celebrate with the Vince Lombardi Trophy following their victory in  NFL Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas, February 6, 2011.