February 01, 2011

Lupe Fiasco - Words I Never Said (feat. Skylar Grey)

Words I Never Said
Okay, here's the new single off Lupe Fiasco's MUCH anticipated 3rd album, Lasers, due out March 8th. Oh, and here are the lyrics in case you want to follow the bouncing ball and read along.


Okay, there's 2 aspects of this song that need to be discussed, the musical aspect and the political aspect. Since this is FiyahMUZIK.com, I figured we'd start there.

This is a beautiful song. Alex Da Kid did work on this gorgeously hard beat (that is a tad loud), and Lupe worked his magic. If I had to give this song an overall letter grade, I'd give it a B.

Now on to the political. The big thing I got from the song was that Lupe said he didn't vote for President Obama because there was bombing on the Gaza strip and "Obama didn't say shit," and that he doesn't vote in general because he's "peaceful." So, let me get this straight, you don't vote in the United States presidential election because there's not peace in the Middle East? That's really the argument you're gonna go with?? I rather he just said, "I don't vote because I don't care enough."

News flash Lupe, there's never been peace there, and there never will be peace there. I know this may come as a surprise, but fighting and bombing and acting crazy is just what they do over there. And what do you really want, Lu? You say you don't agree with the war on terror, but you want Obama to do something about bombing on the Gaza Strip? Which is it, because it sounds like you're playing both sides of the fence.

Maybe I missed the point of the song. Maybe I didn't get a full understanding of what Lupe was trying to convey with my 2 and a half listens. Maybe I need to just read the lyrics in silence. Maybe. All I know is I don't agree when people come with the anti-American foolishness. These guys don't want us to go to war, but when something happens in the world they want us to react and do something about it. Well which is it? This country isn't perfect, but if you really didn't like it here and don't agree with what we do that much, you could leave. After all, it is a free country.

I'll take a few more listens after I get off work, so let's reconvene then and work out our differences.