May 18, 2010

This Week In Flops 5/18/10

Nas & Damian Marley
At one point, I thought this day would never come, but finally it has. The promotion strategy was a little bit curious to me because I was seeing commercials for the album on ESPN2 at 11am. That's basically a waste of ad time. Well, I still think Nas' name can help carry it a little bit (I know that's a major factor in my eventual purchase), so I'm gonna guess it lands in the 50-80k range.

Janelle Monae
I like a lot of singers, but I don't think I love any of their voices as much as I do Janelle Monae's. There's just something about the sound of it that just strikes a nerve in me.

Unfortunately I'm one of the few people who feels that way, as this album has received little, to no promo from Bad Boy outside of retweets from Diddy on Twitter. Granted, Diddy does have over 2.5 million followers, but you'd just like to see more for such a talent. This could work though, because if just a few thousand of that 2.5 million listen to Diddy and go buy the album, this could change the game.

Seriously, if Janelle moves 300,000 first week almost solely off of retweets by Diddy, you don't think people would start paying Diddy to retweet their stuff?? Well I do.

Fingers crossed that that does happen, but just in case, I'm gonna guess somewhere in between 30-60k.

Reflection Eternal
I didn't even know this was an album, I thought it was just going to be a mixtape. Forgive me Hip-Hop purest, I have been a bit out of the loop with my music lately.

Anyway, I have the newest Kweli and Hi-Tek collabo album doing 15-30k.

Bizarre
I didn't even know this was on the horizon, and I'm sure you didn't either. One of the underrated "Worst Rapper Alive" candidates, I'm sure this album is awful. I'm guessing 3-15k unless Eminem pulls a Diddy and tweets about it non-stop for the next week.