October 17, 2011

All Pink Everything Must Stop!

As if 4 weeks of pink eyesores in the NFL wasn't enough, the Ontario Hockey League's Plymouth Whalers took things to the next level with their all pink uniforms this past weekend. Crazy, right? I mean, what's next, they're gonna play on pink ice? ...Fuck!

Look, I'm all for breast cancer awareness, hell, I'd even say I love titties an inordinate amount more than the next man, but this shit has gone too far. Wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month has gone from something people did to actually raise money and awareness to something cool that people now over do to bring attention to themselves. Yes, this pink shit has jumped the shark.

Now, I know we all love us some titties, but y'all do know there are other types of cancer out there we need to be aware of, right? I don't see anybody dressing in all black for Lung Cancer Awareness Month (November) or all brown for Colon/Rectal Cancer Awareness Month (March), so why do we over do it for Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Oh yeah, everybody needs an excuse to be seen.

Here's a concept: how about instead of buying a bunch of pink crap that may or may not be going towards breast cancer research or dressing your sports team in all pink, we just donate to cancer research directly? That's right, fuck awareness, put your money where your month is if you really care. There are plenty of cancer foundations out there, pick one, and put some dollars down. I'm sure they could use the money more than the rampant pinkness that's seemingly taking over the world.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying everybody that wears pink in October is doing it for the wrong reasons, nor am I condemning the Whalers (this was actually their 4th "Pink Out"), but my goodness, enough with the damn pink! Besides, if we're not aware of breast cancer by now, I don't think we ever will be.

(Side note: I know somebody will misconstrue my point in writing this, so let me say now that you're an asshole.)