June 25, 2010

A Few Thoughts On The NBA Draft

John Wall was the #1 pic, but will he live up to that status?
Okay, if you hadn't already come to this conclusion, let me be the first to tell you that in 5 years we'll look back at this draft class like Lil Wayne will look back on Rebirth when he gets sober. What a waste of time. I got off work at 8 last night and rushed home to see the draft, only to be reminded I was only familiar with a few of the players...and they had all been drafted by the time I got home.

First off we have John Wall. He's a fine point guard and all, but I'm not sold that he's gonna be this perennial All-Star like everyone else is right now. His game still seems to be still developing, so if he ever becomes great, it'll be 3 or 4 years down the line. And he's no Derrick Rose, so if he doesn't improve his jumper drastically, I don't see him being more than a 15ppg scorer. Now, I could be wrong, but I just don't see it from the times I've watched him play. Don't get me wrong though, if I had the first pick in the draft I'd take Wall too, but that's more of an indictment on this draft class than on his game.

I have a feeling the #2 pick, Evan Turner, might end up being the best player in the draft. As it stands right now, he's easily the best scorer, but at 205 pounds I doubt he'll be able to clean up on the boards like he did last season for Ohio State (he averaged 9.4 rebounds a game to lead the Big Ten). If he bulks up a bit, I think he can be dangerous. Philly either just got the next Kevin Durant, or the next Danny Granger, but either way, they should be getting 25 a game out of his within 2-3 years.

I don't know much about Derrick Favors, but I'm almost positive he's not better than DeMarcus Cousins. Yeah, throwing Cousins that close to New York could be a potential disaster, but that's a risk I'd be willing to take. It'll be interesting to see how Cousins' career goes. Will he live up to his potential, or will he be a headcase that nobody wants around?? Only time will tell...but he shouldn't get into too much trouble living out in Sacramento. I mean, that's no Utah or Indiana, but it's better than New York or Miami.

The biggest shock for me last night was Gordon Hayward going at #9. Again, that goes to show you what kind of draft class we're working with here. There is no way Gordon Hayward ever averages more than 13 points a game in the NBA. Hell, I'm not sure he'll even score over 13 in one game. It's not like the Jazz really are gonna need him to anyway, but I'm just saying, there's zero chance Hayward is ever anything more than a role player in the NBA.

Aight the draft sucked ass and I'm tired of talking about it, bring on football! You can click here to see who else got drafted last night.