June 24, 2011

A Few Thoughts On The NBA Draft


Even though I wish they hadn't, I the Cavs made the right decision to take Kyrie Irving #1 overall last night. I think we're gonna have a Manning-Leaf/Durant-Oden type situation going on with Kyrie and Derrick Williams, or at the least, a Rose-Beasley. I'm sure Minnesota is hoping for the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised if Derrick Williams was a complete bust. I know he was good in the tournament, but honestly, how many people even knew who he was before then? I know I didn't. Not that me knowing who you are is the defining factor for a player, but I'm just not sure about him for some reason. I mean, I hope the kid turns out good, but I think his ceiling is a poor man's Mike Beasley.

And don't think I'm just picking on Derrick Williams either, personally, I think 2011 will go down as one of the worst drafts of all-time. Who knows, but I could see potential busts all over the place, especially all these guys from overseas who most of us have really never seen play. I think at least half of the lottery picks could be out of the NBA within the next 5 years. Either that, or getting Adam Morrison-type minutes.

One guy that I hope isn't a bust though is Fort Lauderdale's own Brandon Knight. That's for obvious reasons. He probably should've stayed in school another year, but we know he's better than Rodney Stuckey, so he should be fine in Detroit.

I'm not sure what Sacramento was trying to do by picking Jimmer Fredette at #9. I'm saying they took him too high, but I am saying he makes little-to-no sense for their team. He wants the ball, Tyreke Evans wants the ball, and DeMarcus Cousins wants the ball, I just don't see how that works. And that's not to mention potentially playing an Evans-Fredette backcourt. Who's gonna play he 1 and who's gonna play the 2? To me, this is WAY worse than Curry-Ellis in Oakland. Sac-Town should've just let him fall to Utah at #12 as well the Lord's plan.

As usual, the Knicks left everyone scratching their heads with their pick of Iman Shumpert. I guess that's what happens when you let a guy go, but let him run your draft as his last duty.

And last, but not least, my Heat ended up with somebody named Norris Cole out of Cleveland State. Apparently he can score big points, but I don't think that's exactly what we needed. Then again, I don't think this draft could provide us with anything we truly need (which is LeBron James to not shrink in the Finals), but who knows. The pick I'm really counting on came in last year's draft, and that's Dexter Pittman. If he can start giving us good minutes at the 5 next year, I think that'll be a major addition.