April 21, 2009

This Week In Flops 4/21/09

Welp today is the day Deeper Than Rap finally hits stores, how are we feeling?? I'm feeling like he still has a chance to do really well, but when I think about how much he could have done had he not stupidly called out 50 or denied being a C.O., it makes me laugh. By today's standard DR should be fine though so I'm guessing he'll fall into the 145-175k range. The mark to beat is 134,000 done by Jadakiss last week. If DR can't outsell Jada (who no radio hit), then we'll really be able to see the damage 50 has done to him.

As I warned yesterday, Asher Roth is really who DR should be concerned with since it is he he's going head up with this sales week. I honestly don't think Asleep In The Bread Aisle is gonna outsell Deeper Than Rap, but at the same time I wouldn't be totally shocked if it did. Asher is hot right now and is bringing in a whole different type of consumer to the table (ex. I Love College is #18 only the Hot 100 right now but how many times have you heard it on your local Hip-Hop/R&B station??). Possibly Eminem-esque in more ways than just vocally. Be on the watch out for the unexpected huge first week.

With that said, I'm still gonna say he comes in 2nd to DR and does somewhere between 90-115k.