August 11, 2010

A Few Thoughts On The Darrelle Revis Situation

SAN DIEGO - JANUARY 17:  Cornerback Darrelle Revis #24 of the New York Jets warms up on the field prior to the AFC Divisional Playoff Game against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium on January 17, 2010 in San Diego, California.
First off, clearly there's nothing else going on in sports news because there were no updates with this Revis story yesterday, yet it led every sports show. I wonder how much HBO had to pay everybody to make this happen?? There's no way you can make me believe Hard Knocks starting tonight had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, it's so tough to pick a side in this whole mess when you have no dog in the race. If I was a Jets fan I'd want him on the field. If I was a Patriots/Dolphins/Bills/all the other teams the Jets play this year, I'd want him off the field and be his side.

Even though it's close, I think I'd side with the owners here. The first reason is that the man still has years left on his contract. It'd be one thing if he was gonna be a free agent at the end of the season, but he's not. He's still gonna be under contract with the Jets. Then what?? Hold out again??

The next reason I'd siding with the owner is because asking for Nnamdi Asomugha money is retarded. Al Davis is the only owner dumb enough to give a DB that kind of contract. Now do I think he should get close to it?? Sure I do, he's the best corner in the game right now. Will he?? I doubt it. The difference between Nnamdi's situation and Revis' is that Nnamdi actually played out his contract, Revis hasn't. Revis is only 4 years in, Nnamdi is 8, and he's JUST got that deal last year. I'm sorry to say it, but you're gonna have to put more work in than that. I could see if Revis was a running back like Chris Johnson and had a short NFL-life expectancy, but he could realistically play well into his mid-to-late 30's if he wanted to. That meaning he could get 2 or 3 more contracts on top of the one he's gonna sign eventually.

Finally, these holdout situation just never seem to end well for the players. Skip Bayless spoke on this yesterday morning on First Take, and it's true. It's like the football gods frown upon it or something. Whatever it is, it just always seems to fall bad on the player.

Whatever happens with this Revis holdout situation it's just more evidence that the Jets are pretenders and not contenders. How are you contenders and you can't even get your best defensive player to come to camp?? And that's not even to mention how they lucked into a playoff berth last year by virtue of the Colts and Bengals deciding to rest starters.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: '10 Jets = '08 Cowboys.