August 11, 2010

Kanye West - See Me Now (feat. Beyonce & Charlie Wilson)

See Me Now
Welp this is the track Mr. West has been hyping on Twitter since last night, but before we move forward, check out his full interview on Angie Martinez earlier today. Okay, let's do this.


First off, this beat is extremely average. I don't see why it took Kanye, No I.D., AND Lex Luger to make this, but I guess that's why I'm not in the industry now. The hook is pretty decent, nothing to write home about, but it doesn't suck. I was actually kinda surprised Kanye got Beyonce to say nigga on it. I don't know, just seemed odd. And speaking of odd, what was with that high note from Charlie Wilson from 4:44-4:56?? It was absolutely dreadful.

All isn't bad though, Kanye completely rips this apart lyrically. The hardest line on the whole thing very well may be when Ye says, "I know the flow just hit a hellified vertical, this is the Christ year, last year was Magic, 32." I had to bring that one back.

Overall, See Me Now is just OK. Hopefully it's the last song on the album, because really, where else would it fit?? I liken it to Thank Me Now, the last track on Drake's album. Well wherever it ends up on the tracklist, one thing is for sure: it definitely was NOT worth the Twitter hype. Maybe it'll grow on me when I hear it in context with the rest of the album, but until then, it's really nothing special. Bottom line, he's gonna have to come much harder to loosen Teflon Don's grip on album of the year.

With any luck, this will be Lex Luger's only contribution to the album. Nothing against him, but I feel like if he did another track it'd probably sound a lot like this one (See: B.M.F. and MC Hammer by Ross, Rick).

(Side note: Why doesn't Kanye say "free Weezy"?? I'd like to see Wayne freed from his BS prison bid as well, but by the time the album drops Wayne will either be out or about to get out anyway.)