June 26, 2009

R.I.P. Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)

R.I.P.
Man, man, man. I've just been taking it all in and I still don't know where to start. This truly feels like I lost a family member. I don't think a lot of people realized the impact Michael had on so many people's lives until today. I just feel so sad. I mean, I've been celebrating also but sadness always creeps up on me because I could not even begin to imagine what it was like to be Michael Jackson. There has never been, and will never be someone as famous as Michael Jackson. I don't think the ability to reach that kinda status even exists in 2009. Just think about our biggest stars today, no disrespect to any of them, but they're not even close to that kinda fame. Not Britney, not Eminem, not Justin Timberlake, not Usher, not Beyonce, not Jay-Z. Nobody is even close to being as famous as Michael Jackson.

The only person who I think has even gotten a glimpse of that kind of worldwide popularity and approval is President Barack Obama, and even still, he's only been in that spotlight for just over a year now. Michael had been at the absolute top for nearly 30 years! Take a second to marinate on that, he's been famous since he was little boy and was at the zenith of music since the freaking 1980s! There was no place higher to be than where Michael was. No one reached it before him and no one will reach it after him. I'd NEVER in a trillion years want to be THAT famous.

But yet and still, all the money, all the fame, all the those records sold, all those Grammys won, all those souls touched, none of it even matters now because he's gone and he's not coming back.

Damn, just think about how huge his funeral is gonna be?? Its gonna be like inauguration day all over again! Like my homie Andy said, "Don't plan no black shit on that day because we ain't coming." Yeah, Michael means THAT much to so many people. You can think what you want about him, but unless you were born past like 1993, MJ has made an impact on you in some way.

You know what?? I actually know why I feel so bad about Michael passing, its because we never truly appreciated him while he was here. We talked about him, we made fun of him, we laughed at him when all he wanted was to be happy and make others happy. Can you think of one instance of hearing about Michael being mean to anyone?? Think about it, he was the most famous person in the world, the most publicly ridiculed, and had no idea who he could trust but yet he remained kind-hearted throughout. Its amazing when you think about it. All he wanted was to be happy and be left alone, but we failed him by making him out as some kind of freak.

And as weird as it may sound, I actually understand why Mike would have rather been around children. I do not and never did believe he molested those kids. Those were just the only people who could look beyond everything and not judge him. He didn't have to worry about kids trying to trick him out of money or them being dishonest and having other intentions for being around him. It was that innocence only children have that he gravetated to since all everyone else wanted to do was take from him. So yeah, I get it.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention how much Michael did for people that is completely overlooked. Not only with his music, but with all the money he has given to charities over his lifetime and all the time he gave. He just wanted to be happy, and we wouldn't let him. We truly failed him.

Oh yeah, and to anybody who thinks Michael was broke, get real. I don't care how much money he spent, he owned the right to the Beatles catalog and there is no price tag that can be put on that.

Mike was just the baddest, coldest man to ever do it. There will NEVER be another Micheal Jackson. Give people their roses while they're still alive to smell them. Rest in peace Michael, you will be missed sorely.