June 25, 2009

Suns Trade Shaq To The LeBrons

Lets take a look at the trade specifics before I get into my opinion on it:

So the the LeBrons are getting Shaq and sending Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic's expiring contract to Phoenix along with the #46 overall pick in this year's draft and $500,000 in cash.

Okay, now put the spotlight back on me. Though this is actually not a bad deal for either team, it will NOT work for the simple fact that it doesn't help them beat the Magic. Hell, I'm not even sure if it helps them beat the Celtics (but lets hold off on them since we don't know about 1) KG's knee and 2) if Rondo and Ray-Ray will be there next season). If the goal is winning a title, this trade doesn't help them get passed the Magic. How does Shaq help you control 'Shard and Hedo?? The LeBrons aren't going anywhere if 'Shard and Hedo are at the 3-point line shooting wide open J's like they were in the Eastern Finals.

I don't think its physically possible for LeBron to play any better than he did this season. The only thing he could improve on is not taking all those long jumpers that earned him his "LeBrick James" title from Skip Bayless (speaking of Skip, damn I'm pissed off that Wimbledon is on and we can't get his reaction to this trade or T.O. getting cursed out on "Superstars" Monday). Shaq in the post clogging the lane is just gonna force LeBron to take more bad jumpers and not drive the ball to the hoop, which he's incredible at.

I mean, maybe if this was a few years back it would've worked, but not now. Not at 37. Don't get me wrong, Shaq had a nice little season last year, but 18 and 8 isn't the dominance in the low post that forced teams to make adjustments in the past. Like Bill Simmons said, "
Cleveland's trade for Shaq was like someone buying homeowner's insurance 4 weeks after losing everything in a house robbery."And also, what do you do with Big Z?? Them on the floor at the same time would be an absolute disaster! I think they have to trade Z and someone else for another piece. They just have to.

The other part of this deal that's a problem for me is that it doesn't really help LeBron stay in Cleveland when he's a free agent after next season. Shaq is NOT bringing a title to Cleveland so this is really a one-year plan. They should have been building a long term team around LeBron all this time. I guess they can make a run at Chris Bosh after Shaq walks, but is Bosh gonna wanna live in Cleveland or down on South Beach?? I mean they'll have the money to pay him, but so will the Heat when they shed Jermaine O'Neal's contract next year. I know if I was playing in Toronto I'd much rather move to Miami than Cleveland. No question. Not even close.

Aight now the only thing left to be determined is what will Shaq's new Cleveland-based nickname be?? It'll definitely have something to do with either Lake Erie or the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess we'll have to stay glued to his Twitter account to find out.

Oh yeah, and If you thought Kobe/LeBron was overhyped this past season, add Shaq to the equation and you ain't seen shit yet.

SOURCE