June 30, 2009

Drake Sabotages Own Career, Signs With Young Money

Drake
Before I touch on the epic failure that is Drake signing to Young Money, I just acknowledge that Drake actually tore his ACL (never knew rapping and singing could be so tough on the knees for a non-female artist lol) which is why he was sitting down during the performance at the BET Awards (despite walking the red carpet with no assistance). Sorry to Drake and all his fans for making fun of him sitting down... when all along I should've been making fun of them not bringing his ass out in a wheelchair! I mean it was right there! They did the "Baby Boy" reunion, why not re-live Degrassi and let him reprise his role as Wheelchair Jimmy?? Missed opportunity by BET.

Anyway, this is a sad day for all Drake fans as his "bidding war" has ended with him officially signing with Young Money Entertainment. Can I get a moment of silence for his rap career please.

...

Thank you.

How dumb is this?? You constantly shout Young Money out in your raps, go back and forth between rapping like yourself and rapping like Lil Wayne, go out of your way to tell people you're not signed to the label, only to later sign with them in the end after a so called bidding war. Retarded. I guess you can say him saying he wasn't signed to them was a negotiation tool, but it really doesn't work the same when you're actively recording, performing, and hanging with the owner like a signed act.

I just don't see how that would help negotiations because on one end you have Young Money who you're hanging with, out on the road with, and always shouting out 3 or 4 times per rap. What part of that would give them any reason to believe you'd actually sign elsewhere?? Then on the other end, how much money is label B gonna put up to pry you away from the place you seem so happy with and are mostly likely gonna continue to shout out on records instead of label B?? Its like Lamar Odom becoming a free agent, but admitting he only wants to live on the beach. There's only 3 teams that play on the beach, one of which is his current employer. That essentially kills his threat of actually leaving because he's not gonna leave L.A. to live in Minnesota or Washington or Utah or whoever would wanna offer him a deal.

And of course all of that pales in comparison to knowingly signing your career away by being under the Cash Money/Young Money umbrella. He might as well had signed with No Limit, Bad Boy, Ruff Ryders, or any other label that's not going anywhere or releasing albums. Nah, scratch Bad Boy because getting an album out isn't the problem, getting the 2nd album out with any support from the label is the problem lol. Either way, signing to a label that has an owner that's reluctant to put that stamp on his own album probably isn't a good sign. Matter of fact, that's probably a worse sign than that same label existing since 2005 and only releasing 2 albums (both of which came out on the same day). Lets just say the prospects aren't that good.

So now the question is this: Will Thank Me Later ever drop, or will it join the likes of Back To The Future, Nacirema Dream, Statlanta, and countless other debut albums that were never released??

My answer is that I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Look, Drake is immensely talented and his buzz is nothing less than remarkable right now, but with him just starting recording on his debut album June 1st (who knows what the fuck he was doing before then), I'm not seeing him dropping this year. Maybe if the album was almost complete, but you can't expect the buzz from Best I Ever Had to last from now until December (which is when the album is projected to drop). Add that to the Young Money track record of not releasing albums and I'm not feeling confident about the situation.

Welp, the only people that really know are the ones at Young Money. Maybe they're willing to change there ways and try to capitalize on the biggest buzz in Hip-Hop since The Game in 2004. Again, I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

(Side note: I hope this doesn't come off like I don't like Drake because I've become a big fan since my homegirl forced me to listen to So Far Gone in March. I'm just really disappointed in the decision to sign with a label that doesn't drop album.)