September 10, 2010

NFL Winners & Losers: Week 1

McNabb-Romo
And we're back with the first NFL Winners & Loser of the 2010 season! Excited?? I sure as hell am because I've been writing this shit all day. I went 167-88 (.655) last season, and I'm looking to best that this year. Also, I'll have my predictions up tomorrow, but for now, enjoy.

1) Cowboys (0-0) @ Redskins (0-0)
Was there any question as to what I was gonna pick to be the Game of the Week?? Oh ok, just checking.

Pop quiz!

1.) How surprised will Fiyah be if the Redskins beat the Cowboys??

(A) "We didn't stand a chance."
(B) "Ehh, I kinda saw this coming."
(C) "Damn, we should've won that game."
(D) "We lost to a team that starts 38 year-old Joey Galloway starting at WR?! What the fuck?!?!"

If you chose D, pat yourself on the back, you're 210% correct.

Here's my thoughts on the 2010 Washington Redskins: [insert laughter].

And it's not because I think the 2010 Cowboys are that great, I just don't believe the 2010 Redskins are that much better than the 2009 Redskins (4-12). Yes, they upgraded at coach and quarterback, but they downgraded at running back and wideout. Clinton Portis (whom if history serves us, will be hurt soon) is one year older, Larry Johnson is one year more washed up, and Keiland Williams is... wait, who is Keiland Williams?? Then at WR you have Santana Moss and a bunch of nothing else. Again, Joey Galloway WILL start at receiver Sunday night.

In response to that, you may say, "Well Donovan won with no receivers before," which is true, but he was a lot younger, a lot more mobile, and not entering his first year in a new offense. Besides, if Donovan couldn't beat the Cowboys in 3 chances with DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Jason Avant, I doubt he can do it with Moss, Galloway, and Devin Thomas. Cowboys winners, Redskins losers.

2) Ravens (0-0 @ Jets (0-0)
I may just be high off Hard Knocks, but I have crazy man-love for Rex Ryan. In fact, I have crazy man-love for the whole New York Jets team and organization. In fact, in fact, I think the Jets are my new 2nd favorite football team. Well, unless they suck this year, in which case I'm jumping off that bandwagon quicker than #SouljasCokeHabit became the #1 trending topic on Twitter Tuesday night.

Here's a no-brainer: I LOVE the Jets defense! What's not to love from top to bottom?? Their offense is clearly a different story. Judging by Mark Sanchez's performance in the 4th preseason game/Hard Knocks season finale, I'd feel more confident with him calling plays than throwing passes. Oh, and they better PRAY Shonn Greene stays healthy for 16 games because if they're forced to count LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight splitting carries, they're gonna be in more trouble than Earl Watson picking up Jennifer Freeman's cell phone.

I also like the Ravens, but they fact that the vast majority of the media does as well scares the shit out of me. How often does the team everybody loves before the season end up playing in the last game of the season?? I'm gonna say close to never. That's not to say they won't be any good, but I'm not sure how far their defense can take them...which looks super weird to see in text.

I say Baltimore's offense is stellar this year, but not against the NYJ in Week 1. Jets winners, Ravens losers.

3) Bengals (0-0) @ Patriots (0-0)
I want to like the Bengals, I really do, but I feel something screaming at me saying, "NOOOOO!" And its not that I don't like their team, it's the fact they haven't had consecutive winning seasons since 1981 (12-4) and 1982 (7-2; strike shortened season). They very will could buck the trend, but I say they don't. And when they don't, the mainstream sports media will collectively blame T.O. and officially force him into retirement.

Like the team that embarrassed them in the wild card round of the 2009 playoffs, New England should have an explosive offense and suspect defense. Can you name 3 guys on the Pats' defense?? I can't. Names don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but on a team whose calling card is cheating leadership and a strong locker room, who is gonna be that guy for their defense??

This game could turn into a shoot out (aka the only style the Pats will be able to play in and win game), and in a shoot out between Carson Palmer and Tom Brady, the choice is obvious. Patriots winners, Bengals losers.

4) Vikings (0-1) @ Saints (1-0)
Last night's game was anything but exciting, outside of the Saints first drive. Oh well, I had the Saints anyway.

(Side note: Fuck you, Garrett Hartley! You started my Pigskin Pick'em season off with an L because you fail to make either field goal attempt. Bitch!)

5) Colts (0-0) @ Texans (0-0)
Have you seen the spread for this game?? It's Houston +3.5. Houston +3.5?? Yes, Houston +3.5! They're favorited to beat the Indianapolis Colts who they're 1-15 against all-time. ALL-TIME! Man, people are really putting a lot of stock in the Texans owning the Cowboys in that preseason game. Good luck with that. Colts winner, Texans losers.

6) Packers (0-0) @ Eagles (0-0)
If the Ravens are the #1 favorite pick with everyone, the Packers are definitely #2. Oh everybody just looooves them some Packers in 2010. I definitely like them too, but all the holes on the defense scare me. I mean seriously, where are the upgrades from the defense that allowed 51 points to the Cardinals back in January?? I don't see any. But on the offensive end, man, those boys can put up some points.

I don't even know what to think about the Eagles. I can see them being good, bad, and in between because they have so many X-factors on both sides of the ball. If a person from the future came back and told me the Eagles went 4-12 this season, I'd say that makes sense. If the person told me they went 12-4, I'd say the same thing. Same goes for 8-8 or anything else between 4 and 12 wins.

Since I don't want to rush to judgment on the Eagles (mostly because I have no judgment to rush to), I'm gonna give the Packers this one. Packers winners, Eagles losers.

(Side note: I like how before the end of last season, all everybody had to say about Tony Romo was that he's never won a playoff game. But now everybody is putting the Packers in the Super Bowl when Aaron Rodgers has never won one himself. He came very close, but so did Romo in '07 and '08. I'm just saying.)

7) Falcons (0-0) @ Steelers (0-0)
When people talk about the 2009 Atlanta Falcons you would think they went 5-11 or something. Its always "Matt Ryan's sophomore slump" or "Michael Turner had a down year" or blah blah blah, and never "their secondary was depleted and they just couldn't stop anybody, in addition to all the injuries on offense." They were 9-7! That's the same record as the highly touted Jets, who basically got 2 free passes for wins 8 and 9 when the Colts and Bengals quit.

Look, all I'm saying is don't be shocked if Atlanta is "all of sudden" good again.

We all know the situation with the Steelers. I think Dennis Dixon will be fine in the long run, but he won't get the win here. Falcons winners, Steelers losers.

8) Raiders (0-0) @ Titans (0-0)
The Raiders are much improved solely because they got rid of JaMarcus "Wide Hips" Russell and everything else was just a bonus. The jury is obviously still out on them, but they definitely aren't just a W on the schedule anymore (though they did beat a few playoff teams last season).

I think the Titans are gonna pick up right where they left off at the end of last year. I don't think they're gonna make it to Dallas for the Super Bowl like Skip Bayless, but I see about 10 wins in store for them.

Win one comes in Week 1. Titans winners, Raiders losers.

9) Panthers (0-0) @ Giants (0-0)
The Panthers beat the Giants 41-9 in their last game at the old Meadowlands Stadium, and now they'll be NYG's first opponent in the new Meadowlands Stadium. We know the G-Men were a joke back then, are they for real now?? I don't know. What I do know is that the "Giants -7.5" spread is outrageous! Matt Moore and the Panthers are more than capable of beating the Giants down once more. I don't get it. New York should still win though. Giants winners, Panthers loser.

10) Dolphins (0-0) @ Bills (0-0)
C.J. Spiller is a nice addition, but they already had 2 more than serviceable backs. The Bills need so much, and they don't have any of it.

The Dolphins seem to be in some kind of weird transition phase with Bill Parcells stepping down, but they should still be able to handle these scrubs. Dolphins winners, Bills losers.

11) Lions (0-0) @ Bears (0-0)
Nobody needs a win in Week 1 more than the Bears. Lovie Smith's seat is hotter than [edited out explicit gay joke], and if they lose here to the Lions, I don't know where the Bears go from there.

Don't sleep on the Lions. I'm not saying their gonna take that next step to being a playoff team, but they're definitely much improved on both sides of the balls. Ndamukong Suh is an absolute monster and instantly makes them better on defense. Lions winners, Bears losers.

12) 49ers (0-0) @ Seahawks (0-0)
I like the 49ers because I like the fact that they're in the worst division in the NFL, the NFC West.

The Seahawks are dumb and it's only a matter of time before Pete Carroll is out. 49ers winners, Seahawks losers.

13) Broncos (0-0) @ Jaguars (0-0)
I feel like the Broncos should just say fuck it and start Tim Tebow now. They aren't going anywhere this year anyway, so why have him on the sideline doing nothing?? He's already the face of the franchise, let the kid play.

The Jags are probably still gonna suck, but I'll give them this one. Jaguars winners, Broncos losers.

14) Cardinals (0-0) @ Rams (0-0)
The NFL has got to do something with all these NFC West games coming at 4, we need to split this up some. Cardinals winners, Rams losers.

15) Chargers (0-0) @ Chiefs (0-0)
The Chargers didn't really get better over the offseason, but luckily for them, neither did the Chiefs. Also luckily for them, they play in the AFC West and will coast to the playoffs once again starting Monday. Chargers winners, Chiefs losers.

(Side note: Do we really need 2 Monday night games?? I know this isn't the first year it's been done, but it seems so pointless. I'm supposed to stay up late to see the Chiefs?? Uhh, no thank you.)

16) Browns (0-0) @ Buccaneers (0-0)
I'm so happy that the NFL is back, you couldn't make me watch this game. Browns winners, Bucs losers.

This Week: 8-8 (.500)
Overall Record: 8-8 (.500)
Last Week: n/a