December 26, 2008

NFL Winners & Losers: Week 17

After my worst week picking games I slowed down and took my time with my picks this week because these games in Week 17 are the trickiest.

1) Cowboys (9-6) @ Eagles (8-6-1)

Do or die. Win and you're in. Are the Cowboys up to the challenge?? I don't know, but I sure as hell hope so. I saw on ESPN that Dallas hasn't won the last game of the regular season since 1999 and if that's true, I'm truly scared. The Boys are gonna have to be braver than me and put that kinda stuff behind them because they HAVE to win come Sunday. And even though people are saying if the Bucs win and eliminate the Eagles before this game at 4:15pm, they'll play unmotivated, I think the opposite would be more true. I think if they Bucs lose and the Eagles are still alive then they'll turn around and play worse. I mean just think about how they played against the Redskins last week after the Cowboys and Bucs had already lost and left the door open for them. Nothing on the line equals good Eagles, everything on the line equals bad Eagles and as a Cowboy fan I'm hoping to see bad Eagles. Cowboys winners
, Eagles losers.

(How dumb does what I wrote look now??? SMH @ ...umm, me lol.)

2) Dolphins (10-5) @ Jets (9-6)
Okay, the Dolphins schedule was filled with cream puffs, but at the same time the Jets played basically the same cupcake schedule and lost 6 games. Brett Favre is now playing like a man who recently realized he probably should've stayed retired. Add that on top of Chad Pennington getting the chance to stick it to his old team and I think we're looking at our AFC East champs.
Dolphins winners, Jets losers.

3) Panthers (11-4) @ Saints (8-7)
The Panthers should rest their starters, right? Wrong! If they lose this game and the Falcons beat the 2-13, new and improved Jim Haslett Rams (which they will), Carolina could go from a potential #1 seed with a bye and home-field advantage one week to #5 seed heading to Arizona the next. This one means a lot for the Panthers, but it won't come easy with a banged up secondary trying to keep Drew Brees from breaking Dan Marino's passing yards record of 5,084. Shit just got a lot harder for the Panthers. Saints winners, Panthers losers.

4) Giants (12-3) @ Vikings (9-6)
To play your starters or not to play your starters, that is the question Tom Coughlin. If Brandon Jacobs plays, it'll probably be for just the first series, but there isn't much of a drop off for the Giants when it comes to half back. The Vikings need this game bad after they flopped last week in Atlanta and I say the Giants give it to them in the 2nd half while gettin ready for the playoffs. Vikings winners, Giants losers.

5) Broncos (8-7) @ Chargers (7-8)
A showdown for tops in the 2nd worst division in the NFL, I can't wait! How did NBC pick this game over that MIA/NYJ match-up?? Weird. Anyway, the Chargers are now talking shit and that probably won't bode well for them and their 7-8 team so I say Denver finishes them off but the right way this time. Broncos winners, Chargers losers.

6) Raiders (4-11) @ Buccaneers (9-6)
I obviously have a lot of stock riding on this game (why else would a Raiders' game be this high??) but with the way the Bucs are playing, I wouldn't even be surprised if the let the Raiders win. I don't think that will happen and Tampa will help the conspiracy theorists out by edging out Oakland. Bucs winners, Raiders losers.

7) Bears (9-6) @ Texans (7-8)
Just when we thought the Texans had it all figured out, they go out and lose to the damn Raiders. How does that happen?? Anyway, a little birdie told me that Andre Johnson wants to not only lead the league in receiving yards, but also receptions so look for him to have a big day since he's currently trailing Wes Welker by 4 catches. The Bears will probably be too busy watching the scoreboard on the Viking/Giants game anyway. Texans winners, Bears losers.

8) Patriots (10-5) @ Bills (7-8)
With Trent Edwards back under center the Bills seem to be playing more like they did at the beginning of the season, but there's no way Bill Belichick lets the Pats lose this game. They won't know if they're in or not until after the Dolphins/Jets game at 4:15, but the Pats will do their part. Patriots winners, Bills losers.

(PS: I just have a feeling the Pats are gonna make it into the postseason somehow, some way. I know that notion isn't consistent with my picks since I have the Dolphins and Ravens winning, but I just got a feeling.)

9) Jaguars (5-10) @ Ravens (10-5)
Its funny that this game is scheduled here because with a Ravens win and go to 11-5 and drop the Jags to 5-11, these 2 teams will have completely flip-flopped from each other last season. Remember, the Jags finished 11-5 and the Ravens finished 5-11? Sorry, just wanted to point that out lol. Anyway, I think that loss to the Colts sucked the last little bit of life out of the Jags so they'll lay down for the Ravens come Sunday. Ravens winners, Jaguars losers.

10) Titans (13-2) @ Colts (11-4)
Any other week this would be in the top 3 at least, but not Week 17. Actually, this game should be even further down because both teams have handled their business and can't change their playoff positioning so don't expect to see many starters on the field come Sunday. With that being said, I'm gonna have to take Vince Young over Jim Sorgi lol. Titans winners, Colts losers.

11) Browns (4-11) @ Steelers (11-4)
The Steelers have nothing to play for Week 17, but I don't think Mike Tomlin is the kinda coach that'll let his team roll over for an opponent in any circumstance. But even if Tomlin does play back-ups, I like Leftwich better than whoever the Browns can find to put under center. Steelers winners, Browns losers.

12) Redskins (8-7) @ 49ers (6-9)
On top of wearing throwback jerseys this week, some of the 49ers players are planning on wearing mustaches during this game. Now that's what I call good fun! I'm surprised the No Fun League is allowing this but whatever. Anyway, all reports are saying Mike Singletary will be offered the head coaching job after this game and that'll give the players something to win for besides pride. Niners winners, Skin losers.

13) Rams (2-13) @ Falcons (10-5)
The Falcons and all their starters should be on the field with a chance at moving up to the #2 seed on the line. With that being said, I think we can go ahead and call this game for the home team. Falcons winners, Rams losers.

14) Seahawks (4-11) @ Cardinals (8-7)

Do the Cardinals realize the regular season is still going on?? I don't think they do and continue to sleep walk into the playoffs to host either the Falcons or Panthers. Seahawks winners, Cards looks.

15) Chiefs (2-13) @ Bengals (3-11-1)
The Chiefs showed signs against the Dolphins, but its hard to pick against the Bengals and their 2 game winning streak lol. Bengals winners, Chiefs losers.

16) Lions (0-15) @ Packers (5-10)
Should we just go ahead and post the 0-16 now, or wait for the 1st quarter to end and see the Lions down 2 touchdowns?? You know I actually wanted the Lions to win one, but after the way Rod and the media have treated Rob Parker after his joke about Joe Barry, I'll be rooting for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to finish them off. Plus, the last time the Lions won in Green Bay, Brett Favre was still playing for the Falcons lol. Packers winners, Lions losers.

Last Week Record: 6-10 (.375)
Overall Record: 106-62 (.631)
So Far This Week: 10-5 (.667)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow will be one of the biggest regular season sunday I can ever think of.

Anonymous said...

LETS GO FALCONS !!!

11-5

BUT DAMN YOU NEW ORLEANS !!!, HOW U GON LET THE "PANTIES" COME BACK AND WIN ?

I SWEAR THE PANTHERS GET TOO MANY EASY BREAKS !!!!