August 20, 2011

Why Aren't The Cowboys Trying To Sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh?

Earlier tonight I was checking out the box scores for all the NFL preseason games (yeah, I was bored) and when I got to the Chiefs-Ravens' receiving stats, I noticed a (fairly long) name was missing: T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Then I remembered, when T.J. signed with the Ravens last year, it was an one-year deal and they have yet to re-sign him (and most likely won't after they traded for Lee Evans last week), so he's a free agent. That's right, the most sought after free agent WR just 2 years ago is a free agent roughly 3 weeks away from the beginning of the season. How insane is that? I mean, it's not like he has suffered any major injuries since (oddly) choosing Seattle in 2009 and he doesn't have any "off the field issues." What's the problem?

I don't know, but here's where my Cowboys come in: Miles Austin has missed the last few days of practice, and possibly won't play in Sunday's preseason game against the Chargers because of a tight hamstring. By all accounts, the injury is minor, but it does raise concerns about what we'll do this season if either Miles or Dez Bryant get hurt.

Behind Miles and Dez right now we have Kevin Olgetree (10 career receptions and 130 career yards), Dwayne Harris (2011 6th round pick), and Raymond Radway (undrafted free agent rookie). That's it. Last year we traded Patrick Crayton (I told you we'd regret it), and obviously we cut Roy Williams, so clearly we're thin as hell at receiver.

That brings me to the title of this post: Why (in the FUCK) aren't the Cowboys trying to sign T.J. Houshmanzadeh?

Again, he's not injured, he's not a "head case," and evidently he's not that sought after (may mean we can get him at a reasonable price), so what would be the down side to this? Best case scenario: Miles and Dez stay healthy and we upgrade our #3 WR spot; worse case scenario: we have a more than capable #2 WR if either Miles or Dez goes down with an injury. (Feel free to interrupt me when I hit a bad part.)

Jerry, if you're listening (and I know you're not), it's time to make up for the Roy and Crayton trades and make a smart move at WR. Go. Get. Housh!

(Side note: Let the records show that if Miles or Dez don't get hurt, the #3 receiver spot won't even matter because we have Jason Witten. When we went 13-3 in 2007, our third wide-out was Sam Hurd and he finished the season with 19 catches for 314 yards and 1 touchdown. That's it. I'm fairly confident Olgetree, Radway, and Harris could handle that, but I'm even more confident Jason Witten will put up another 90 catch, near 1,000 yard season.)

(Side side note: I'm gonna be so pissed if the Patriots steal him too!)