October 01, 2010

NFL Winners & Losers: Week 4

Vick vs. McNabb
Before you check out the picks, I want you guys to check out this video of Howie Long speaking on the 18 game season. Preach Howie, preach!

1) Redskins (1-2) @ Eagles (2-1)
Boy I'm tired of hearing about McNabb vs. Vick and McNabb vs. Reid, but I'm most tired of hearing about whether the ungrately Philly fans will boo or not. Everybody has run that shit into the ground this week to the point of disinterest on my part. Like Jason Whitlock said in his weekly NFL Truths column:

"If Eagles fans boo, it will last 30 seconds to a minute. McNabb was booed by Eagles fans when he was drafted and he was booed when he was leading the Eagles to the playoffs. I think he’ll survive."

More than anything else this week, I feel bad for Donovan. I know he's going to put on a good act, like it doesn't effect him, but you know deep down he's hurt that he's returning to Philly as a visitor. Even if he were returning as QB of an undefeated team, I'm sure he'd still feel the hurt. It'd probably be less hurt than he'll feel returning with this garbage Redskins team that's 1 Alex Barron penalty away from being 0-3, but you get the point.

At the end of the day, the Redskins suck, and they stand no chance of beating the Eagles on Sunday. I repeat: No chance. Eagles winners
, Redskins losers.

(Side note: Like I've said many times before, I want to see Mike Vick succeed, but I'll always resent Philly and their fans for how they treated McNabb. It's one thing to boo somebody on draft day, but they essentially booed Donovan throughout his career there. They hated him then and they probably still hate him now.

Speaking of the draft, have you guys looked back at the '99 NFL Draft lately?? Philly fans should be on their knees sucking Donovan's Campbell's chunky cock, their quarterback situation could've been WAY worse.

Here's a list of the other QBs selected in the first round of the '99 draft: Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown. I don't know if you needed me to remind you, but 100% of those QBs are no longer in the NFL. Philly, get to sucking!)

2) Patriots (2-1) @ Dolphins (2-1)
Is there some kinda mandate saying the Dolphins must only wear their orange jerseys when they play on nationally televised games?? I think those jerseys are dope, but it seems like that's the only time they ever break them out. Of course this has nothing to do with anything, but fuck it, I wanted it to be said.

Anyway, I feel like I should like the Patriots to win this game more than I do. They still have a high powered offense, they just can't stop anybody. If Brandon Marshall torched the Jets' schematically sound defense, and the Bills went up and down the field on the Pats' young tender defense, who knows what might happen Monday night. All I'm gonna saying is Marshall's record for the most catches in a game is in play.
Dolphins winners, Pats losers.

3) Ravens (2-1) @ Steelers (3-0)
In Joe Flacco's young career he's only beaten the Steelers 1 time. It was a late November game last year that the Ravens pulled out 20-17 in OT. Fortunately for Flacco and friends, Ben Roethlisberger won't be playing in this game either...but unfortunately Troy Polamalu will.

This is a tough game to pick (easily the toughest of Week 4) in large part because of what the Steelers' defense has done to opposing offenses in 3 games this season. Flacco hasn't looked all that sharp on occasion when not playing against them, how will he fare when he is??

We have no way of knowing (Captain Obvious says so!) but I'm gonna bet against Roethlisberger coming back to an undefeated team.
Ravens winners, Steelers losers.

4) Bears (3-0) @ Giants (1-2)
Move over Saints, the Bears are the new luckiest team in football. Think about it:
  • They lost in Week 1 to the Lions, but were bailed out by the refs.
  • In Week 2 they got a lot of lucky bounces (2 of which resulted in interceptions off deflections), a David Buehler missed field goal that could've tied the game, and another gift from the refs who refused to blow a play dead after Roy Williams had been tackled and driven backwards for about 5 seconds BEFORE fumbling.
  • And in Week 3 they got 18 penalties from the Packers that negated at least 2 Jay Cutler picks, forced an actual fumble along the sidelines that would've gone out of bounds 10 out of 10 times if done again, and still needed a last second field goal to win.
Luck, luck, and luck (and also a few questionable gifts from the zebras).

On the other hand you have the poor Giants. I knew they weren't gonna be good this year, but damn.

There's no need to go on, because there's no way the Giants can beat the lucky Bears. I mean, who knows what kinda magic trick the refs Chicago will pull out this week.
Bears winners, Giants losers.

5) Packers (2-1) @ Lions (0-3)
Why haven't the Packers traded for Marshawn Lynch yet?? The Bills practically put him in the store front window to entice the Packers by rushing him 17 times in Week 2 in Green Bay after giving him just 3 in Week 1. It's not like Fred Jackson or C.J. Spiller got hurt all of a sudden, Buffalo is clearly trying to move Lynch, so why won't the Pack go get him?? Brandon Jackson is awful and nobody is gonna respect a running game with him as the lead back. I don't get it.

Oh well, better for my Cowboys because I personally cannot wait to face Brandon Jackson in Week 9.
Packers winners, Lions losers.

6) Texans (2-1) @ Raiders (1-2)
I like how last week the Texans were a possible Super Bowl contender, but after my Cowboys spanked that booty Sunday they're all-of-a-sudden not that good. Oh, and don't even get me started on Andre Johnson. In Week 2 he caught an amazing TD after hurting his ankle, but 1 week later he "just wasn't the same guy" while playing with the same injury. No credit is given to Mike Jenkins (who got carted off the field in Week 2) for covering him with a bruised knee. Oh well, I'm not tripping because I like my Cowboys being under the radar.
Texans winners, Raiders losers.

7) Colts (2-1) @ Jaguars (1-2)
Why are these always such close games no matter how bad the Jaguars suck?? The Colts haven't beat the Jags by more than a touchdown since October 22, 2007.

Oh well, nothing in the world, shy of Peyton Manning's untimely death, would make me pick against the Colts here. There's just no way the Jags can keep up with the Colts' offense, especially coming off only managing 3 point against the Eagles' lowly defense. I mean, even the Lions hung 32 on that D with Shaun Hill at QB.
Colts winners, Jaguars losers.

8) Broncos (1-2) @ Titans (2-1)
Titans sure do look good when they're not playing the Steelers, don't they??

...Welp that was pretty much all I really wanted to say here.
Titans winners, Broncos losers.

9) 49ers (0-3) @ Falcons (2-1)
I told you the Falcons were gonna beat the Saints last week. That's all, I just wanted to say I told you so.

As far as the 49ers go, I don't know what the fuck is going on with them, so I'm just gonna pick against them until they prove to me they don't suck.
Falcons winners, 49ers winners.

10) Jets (2-1) @ Bills (0-3)
Man, the AFC East sure is plowing through these divisional games, huh? Including this week, each team will have played 3 divisional match-ups and it's only Week 4. Hey NFL, how about we spread some of these out next year?
Jets winners, Bills losers.

11) Bengals (2-1) @ Browns (0-3)
What are the Bengals gonna do at quarterback because Carson Palmer sucks now?? Is Jordan Palmer any good?? I doubt it. Oh well, at least they play the Browns this week.
Bengals winners, Browns losers.

12) Panthers (0-3) @ Saints (2-1)
The Saints aren't gonna lose 2 games in a row, especially when the 2nd game is against the '10 Panthers.
Saints winners, Panthers losers.

13) Cardinals (2-1) @ Chargers (1-2)
No questions here, I'm taking the Chargers. It's not that I don't think the Chargers are capable of losing to anybody in the league within the first 4 weeks of any given season, it's just that the Cardinals don't deserve to have a winning record.
Chargers winners, Cardinals losers.

14) Seahawks (2-1) @ Rams (1-2)
Oooh a NFC West show down! You know this is must-see TV right here.
Rams winners, Seahawks losers.

This Week: 8-6 (.571)
Overall Record: 37-25 (.597)
Last Week:
11-5 (.688)