October 13, 2010

Shyne: L.A. Reid Doesn't Care About Rap People

Shyne
Here's what your boy Shyne had to say to SOHH.com about his label situation with Def Jam:

"I'm definitely trying to get with Cash Money but the Def Jam thing is a question mark right now," Shyne told SOHH. "I've been fixing to get up out of there for a while now because [Island Def Jam CEO] L.A. Reid don't care about hip-hop. The people up there, they don't know what they're doing. When you don't have a strong leader, where you gonna go? ... They don't care about hip-hop music. You give them a hip-hop record with an R&B singer, you "might" have a chance. They don't care. You got The Roots, Ghostface, Nas, probably the best hip-hop roster you could imagine and they do nothing. L.A. Reid doesn't want nothing to do with rappers -- it's nothing personal, I don't have nothing personal with dude but he makes it known he doesn't care about hip-hop. So I'm really interested in seeing who's gonna replace him. Because I know he's been replaced -- so I wanna find out who's gonna take his spot before I decide what I'm gonna do with Def Jam...The music that we make is responsible for pop, R&B, everything that's jumping right now..." via SOHH.com

Well that's some true spit, but my concern with this is the person who's spitting it. Shyne can't criticize Def Jam or L.A. Reid for not wanting to promote/drop his music, I mean, has he heard his music?? The shit is fuckin' BAD. And no, not "bad, real bad, Mike Jackson." Just regular ass bad bad.

Shyne is probably right, L.A. most likely cares more about R&B than he does Hip-Hop, but I'm gonna need Po to ditch that Rick Ross parody voice he's rapping in now, and go make some music people want to hear before he complains about his situation. What about the situation Def Jam is in when they gave him all this money and he decided to take a knife to the throat, wrist, and back of his post-prison buzz by making a bunch of trash nobody likes?? Point out one person who has interest in hearing a Shyne album right now. Not two, just one. You can't. I rest my case.

(Side note: Why would Shyne want to leave Def Jam to go to Cash Money?? I understand Jimmy Iovine probably took the Interscope deal off of the table after hearing Shyne's new music, but he wants to go to Cash Money?? I know he's been gone for some time, but he's got to know releasing albums isn't something they're into. In fact, I'd say he has about a 40% less of a chance of getting his album released on Cash Money than he currently does on Def Jam.

Of course Cash Money will let him do some mixtapes and songs with Lil Wayne, Drake, and 'nem, let him write songs for Birdman, and let him walk on stage at the BET Awards when Nicki Minaj accepts her awards, but his album will be on the shelf longer than Jae Millz and Gudda Gudda combined.)