January 25, 2008

Myspace Friends DON'T Equal Record Sales!

I got about 25 tabs open on my Firefox right now so its time to start unloading shit, strap on ya' seat belt and get ya' popcorn ready!

First up is this video by Ghostface Killah asking his fans why y'all don't cop his shit. I'll talk more after you peep the footage:


118,609 as of right now to be exact. Now, I don't wanna diss Ghost or anything, but this is kinda the problem with the older rapper still doing it and aren't really up with the times. The first thing Ghost needs to know before he makes this argument again is that Myspace friend don't equal record sales. I mean it would be nice if that was the case, but anyone with any kind of music business sense knows it's not. Even if it was, selling 118,609 copies isn't that great anyway. On top of all of that, after how many weeks is this whole friends equaling record sales supposed to match?? After one week?? After 12 weeks?? When?? I don't think Ghostface has reached 118,609 with a debut of 35,600, but when he does then will he be happy?? I doubt it lol.

Now, I'm just gonna go over some examples of why thinking Myspace friends is a good barometer for albums sales is retarded:

Lupe Fiasco has 568,443 friends on Myspace. His album The Cool has been on the charts for 5 weeks and he's sold 268,300.

Soulja Boy has 666,906 friends on Myspace. His album Souljaboytellem.com has been on the charts for 15 weeks and sold
711,200.

Now here's the ball buster, Alicia Keys' album As I Am has sold
2,786,500 after just 10 weeks on the charts, but she has only 507,786 friends on Myspace! That's less than both Lupe and Soulja Boy yet she's sold more records than the both of them combined...TWICE!

0 comments: