July 15, 2010

Throwbacks Now "Soul" Jerseys??

Pippen
Between Golden State's new old jerseys and NBA Live turning into NBA Elite, the theme for tonight is clearly selling us old products under a new name. The NBA Store refuses to be left out of the festivities.

Here's the story:

I decide to head over to the NBA Store to see if they have any real Miami Threet jerseys (and not those wack replicas they had up the other day), but when I got there I noticed a Larry Bird jersey in the bottom left corner of my screen. That was odd, seeing how throwbacks died about 6 years ago and all. Well on the right of the Bird jersey I see "Soul Swingman Jerseys," so I click it and see that the NBA is now selling leftover throwback jerseys as "soul" jerseys. Same product, new name.

Now, as much as an outrage as this was, nothing can compare to some of the "soul" jerseys I saw for sale. Here's some of the most uhh, curious:

Leading off the insanity is the Bill Cartwright Bulls "soul" jersey. Really, Bill Cartwright?? Even Bill Cartwright doesn't want a Bill Cartwright jersey.

Next up is the Clyde Drexler Rockets "soul" jersey. I know what you're thinking, "Drexler was an all-time great!" Yes he is, but he only played 57 games in those particular Rockets jerseys after being traded from the Blazers at mid-season in 1995. The Rockets played the 1995-96 season in those god-awful pinstripe unis.

Here's one many might not remember, the Dennis Rodman Lakers jersey. You thought Drexler's 57 games with the old Rockets jerseys was short?? Well Rodman only played 23 games in this jersey before being released by the Lakers. The NBA Store might as well throw his Mavericks jersey in as a package deal, he played 12 games in it.

And last, but not least, the Kurt Rambis Lakers "soul" jersey. Rambis was a benchwarmer who averaged 5.2 points a game for his career! No one outside of his own family would ever want a Kurt Rambis, and that's not even a given. The man has one career highlight, and that's being clotheslined by Kevin McHale in the '84 Finals. What he fuck, NBA Store?? You deserve to be stuck with these for asking for them to be made.

Only thing missing is the Gheorghe Muresan Bullets jersey. Now that's a jersey I'd pay money for!

(Side note: I know throwbacks are dead, but that pinstriped Pippen above is awfully sweet! I'm not gonna lie, I'm considering buying it.)