July 13, 2010

This Week In Flops 7/13/10

CNN
This promises to be a slow sales week for new Hip-Hop releases, but let's proceed anyway.

First up we have the sequel to Capone-N-Noreaga's 1997 classic debut album, The War Report 2. Last year's CNN release Channel 10 didn't do so well in the sales department, but I expect a biggest number this time around. Not much bigger, but still bigger. I'm guessing somewhere in the 10-40k range.

Paul Wall
Don't look now, but Paul Wall is now dropping his 5th studio album. Paul Wall hasn't seen much mainstream success since the Houston, TX movement fell off, but that hasn't stopped him from making music and cranking out albums like it has some other (i.e. Mike Jones, Chamillionaire, etc). That's a good thing. I'm gonna guess 20-60 for Mr. Wall.

Statlanta
Whenever I talk about albums that never dropped, Statlanta is routinely included on every occasion. Well that's no more as Stat Quo's debut album has been released today on Sha Money XL's Dream Big Ventures label after being on the self for a whopping 7 years.

Anyway, there wasn't much promo for Statlanta, but I'm sure he finally wanted to drop it and move on with his career. I'll be shocked mightily if sells more than 10,000 copies first week. I know that sounds bad, but when an album has been on the shelf that long and is just dropped without warning, you can't expect much higher. I say 3-10k.

(Side note: I guess I gotta take Statlanta off my "Top 10 Debut Albums That Will Never Debut" list. Good thing I haven't recorded that podcast yet lol.)