November 20, 2009

NFL Winners & Losers: Week 11

Redskins @ Cowboys
I'm looking for a better week than my 8-7 last week so I'm turning in my picks early this week. Wish me luck.

1) Redskins (3-6) Cowboys (6-3)
Man, y'all know I was fire hot watching that Cowboys-Packers game last week! Our offense was anemic, our defense was on the field too much, we picked up a bunch of injuries, and Roy Williams went all Roy Williams. How do you only run the ball 11 times with 3 prime time RBs?? I don't wanna hear that "game situations dictate what we can do" BS Jason Garrett and Tony Romo are shelving out either. The score was 3-0 until about 2 minutes into the 4th quarter, we could've run the ball.

Luckily for us, its not the end of the world for us. We fell to 6-3 and still have the NFC East lead. I rather have these hiccups now than in December and January when it really counts. Hopefully we can get back to having offensive balance this week against the Redskins and take out our frustration on them. I wish we played this game a few weeks ago when the 'Skins were a complete mess instead of when they seem to be putting things together a bit, but whatever. Cowboys winners, Redskins losers.

2) Colts (9-0) @ Ravens (5-4)
When I saw the line for this I thought it was a mistake. Baltimore is the favorite over Indy by a half point. How are the Ravens favorites over the undefeated Colts, fresh off a victory over New England?? I don't get the logic, especially since the Ravens are coming off a short week after playing Monday night and didn't look particularly good while doing so. That's not even to mention the Ravens haven't beaten the Colts since December 2, 2001. The Ravens being favorites?? C'mon son! Colts winners, Ravens losers.

3) Chargers (6-3) @ Broncos (6-3)
A few weeks ago I crowned Denver the AFC West champions. Three weeks later and they are locked in a first play tie with San Diego. I should've saw this coming.

Look, I don't think the Chargers are really that good, but the Broncos are finally coming back down to Earth. Their defense has been exposed and now Kyle Orton is hurt, making it likely that back-up Chris Simms will start Sunday. Last week, in his first real action since 2006, Simms went 3 of 13 for 13 yards, one INT, and a sweet 7.5 passer rating. So yeah, with that said, I'm looking for the Chargers to take over that AFC West lead. Chargers winners, Broncos losers.

4) Falcons (5-4) @ Giants (5-4)
This game is going to go a long way in deciding who gets those 2 wild card spots in the playoffs. You know what I say though?? Fuck this game! I checked the TV Guide and Fox is going to be showing it over Cowboys-Redskins at 1pm Sunday, so again, fuck this game! Giants winners, Falcons losers.

5) Titans (3-6) @ Texans (5-4)
Under normal circumstances I'd take the Titans as they've rode Chris Johnson to a 3 game win streak, but I'm gonna take the home team coming off the bye again because its been so good to me. Texans winners, Titans losers.

6) 49ers (4-5) @ Packers (5-4)
I must admit, I'm still a bit tight about the loss to the Packers last week, but it wasn't their fault, it was ours. The Packers are actually a pretty good team and even though they can't protect Aaron Rodgers, they apply pressure and get after opposing QBs. Of course we had injuries on our offense line, but still, they took advantage. It might be a long day for Alex Smith. Packers winners, 49ers losers.

7) Dolphins (4-5) @ Panthers (4-5)
See, I told you Jake Delhomme was not to be trusted in cold weather games. I'm not sure how he was allowed to throw the ball 42 times, but I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks lol. Dolphins won, Panthers lost.

8) Eagles (5-4) @ Bears (4-5)
The Eagles are coming off 2 straight losses, so there's no way they lose this game, right?? Not against the Bears, no way. Eagles winners, Bears losers.

(Side note: I hope Brian Westbrook takes the events of last week seriously and retires. Football is a great game, but its not worth dying at 48 for.)

9) Saints (9-0) @ Buccaneers (1-8)
Right now, the Saints are struggling. I know analysts wanna say they're proving they can win any kind of way, but anytime it takes you all the way to the final possession to put away a team like the Rams (after struggling against the Dolphins and Panthers). Bottom line, the Saints are begging to crack and the Bucs are playing better. I think N.O. still has enough weapons to put this game away, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was an upset. Saints winners, Buccaneers losers.

10) Seahawks (3-6) @ Vikings (8-1)
It'd be nice to say this was gonna be a game, but the Vikings are most likely gonna blow the 'Hawks away. Vikings winners, Seahawks losers.

11) Bills (3-6) @ Jaguars (5-4)
Firing Dick Jauron was probably the right move for the Bills (though they should've done it at the end of last season), but I'd like to see the statistics on first games after a coach's firing. I'd venture to say those number aren't great. Plus, I think the Jags are starting to realize they're still alive in the playoff hunt and let MJD run wild. Jags winners, Bills losers.

12) Cardinals (6-3) @ Rams (1-8)
I hate the Cardinals and I hate picking them to win games, but they are 4-0 on the road and the Rams aren't as good as the Saints made me look last week. Cardinals winners, Rams losers.

13) Bengals (7-2) @ Raiders (2-7)
Okay Raiders fans, I got some good news and I got some bad news. The good news: You guys finally benched JaMarcus Russell. The bad news: Your back-up QB is Bruce Gradkowski. Damn. Oakland's QB situation is like Cleveland Browns West and that's clearly not a compliment.

Anyway, Cincy swept the Ravens and they swept the Steelers, there's no way they lose this game, right?? Right. Bengals winners, Raiders losers.

14) Steelers (6-3) @ Chiefs (2-7)
What is there to even right about this game?? Steelers winners, Chiefs losers.

15) Browns (1-8) @ Lions (1-8)
I was going back in forth trying to figure out who was going to win this potentially pathetic match-up, then I remembered the Browns' best player probably isn't even playing Sunday. Josh Cribbs, who was hurt in the Monday nighter, returned to practice yesterday, but he has a neck injury and even if he does play he obviously won't be 100%. Hell, the Browns couldn't put up any points Monday when he was healthy so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the home team. Lions winners, Browns losers.

Last Week: 8-7 (.533)
Overall Record: 103-56 (.648)
This Week:
11-4 (.733)