November 17, 2009

This Week In Flops 11/17/09

50 Cent
This album actually dropped yesterday, but it doesn't matter because I think this is the beginning of the end. Don't get me wrong, we'll still hear plenty from 50 Cent, but just not musically because this album is gonna flop and its gonna flop HARD! Let me give my prediction, and then we'll discuss. I have Before I Self Destruct moving something in the neighborhood of 105-165k.

Now of course that's not a flop for the vast majority of working rappers these days, but we're talking about Hip-Hop megastar 50 Cent here. In first weeks, 50 Cent doesn't sell in the hundred-thousands, his lowest first week total was 2007's Curtis and even that surpassed 600,000 (though mainly off the strength of Kanye West).

With the market the way it is, for BISD to not be considered a flop, I think its going to have to sell AT LEAST 300,000, but I just don't see it. I don't see the buzz, I don't see the hits, I don't see the movement, I don't see the interest. Plainly said, 50 Cent the rapper has run his course.

(Side note: The fact that 50 has run his course musically makes it all the more remarkable he was able to destroy Rick Ross they way he did. I don't know if that says more about the strength of 50, or the weakness of Ross?)

Its not the end of the world though, plenty of rappers die off. Look at Nelly, look at Juvenile, look at DMX. Once upon a time those guys were multi-platinum selling artists, but if they dropped albums today, they'd struggle to get over 100,000 first week. It happens. Its natural. Everybody can't be Jay-Z.

Rakim
As far as albums actually coming out today, Rakim's long awaited The Seventh Seal is now in stores. Look, Rakim is a legend, but his missed the boat. His best shot at making a come back was back in 2002 when he was on a big hit in Truth Hurts' Addictive and still signed to Aftermath. Basically what I'm trying to say is that at this point, nobody cares. I know it sounds harsh, but you don't get that many chances to have a career in music, and you have even less chances to make a comeback. I'll give this album 5-15k.

Pretty Ricky
These guys were a joke when Pleasure P left, but they really became a laughing stock after Spectacular when all...well, Spectacular back in May. I don't think many ladies have been checking for them ever since so don't be surprised if this is the last we hear from Pretty Ricky. I'll give them 5-15k as well.

Mannie Fresh
I was listening to this Mannie Fresh song called Drought with Rick Ross yesterday and it was too funny hearing Mannie talk about selling and moving coke. That story really have nothing to do with anything, but it made me laugh, I thought I'd share lol.

Moving right along, I'm sure not many people even know this is dropping, but I'm gonna say it does somewhere in between 3-10k.