July 20, 2011

Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis (feat. Otis Redding) (Prod. by Kanye West)

Otis
While my internet was down, news broke that Watch The Throne had finally received a release date. August 1st is the day it will be available digitally and August 5th is the day it'll be in stores. Not sure why that is, but okay.


Let me find out getting this song cleared was the big hold up with Watch The Throne being released. My nigga, I swear I will FLIP! I've listened to this song 3 or 4 times around and can't help, but feel severely underwhelmed. In fact, I couldn't be any more disappointed in a Hov/Kanye record unless it had auto-tune on it.

First off, this beat is trash. The Otis Redding sample is annoyingly repetitive and sounds like it was whipped up by a kid who just learned how to do samples on Fruity Loops. Next, Hov's verses were lazy as hell. It's safe to say Kanye murked Jay on this record, but that isn't much of a feat considering how weak Jay's verses were. Last, what was up with that crazy salvo of screams at the end? Was that really necessary? Shit was loud as fuck, it felt like Mariah Carey was sitting on my eardrum singing her greatest hits.

Now I realize this is just a radio rip (that I actually hope is of an incomplete, unmixed, unmastered record), but that doesn't stop the overwhelming disappointment. Oh well, we'll see what's up when the album leaks next week.

**UPDATE**
Otis is actually starting to grow on me quite a bit. Kanye still murderized Hov, but the I feel less disappointed today than I did Wednesday. I'm officially ready to Watch The Throne.