September 04, 2007

50 Cent - Curtis (Review)

After a weekend plagued by skipping, and edited versions of 50 Cent's latest album Curtis (I'm sure he put those versions out himself lol), I FINALLY got my hands on a real copy Sunday. Unlike Kanye West's Graduation, I had no expectations whatsoever for Curtismaybe that was the difference since I never thought about buying it lol. I'm gonna give them both a 4/5 rating, but there was no disappoint because I wasn't expecting much, and sure as hell not a classic. 50 kept it thorough on this album and at this point in his music and business careers, that's all you can ask for.

The problems with Curtis lays in the over use of R&B singers on the hooks, the edits on Man Down, Eminem on Peep Show, and having heard so much of the album previously. Back in 2005, 50 Cent claimed he wrote 6 songs for The Game's The Documentary LP. He later admitted to only writing the hooks, and then said what The Game had to do (write verses) was the "easy" part [of songwriting]. Anyway, my point is that that same person can't go out and get 5 different R&B singers to do his choruses and only commit to the "easy" part ESP after being so critical. I dunno wassup with Man Down, but hearing Interscope edited the track because he was talking about violence against the policeoh well, guess we'll never know. Who knows why Eminem is on Peep Show, that makes no sense to me. Em is in dire need of a return to his lyrical roots, though I liked it MUCH better than the features on Akon and T.I.'s albums, I would've much rather have heard him on I'll Still Kill or My Gun... I dunno maybe its just me. The last problem is having already heard 6 of the 16 songs on here. Usually when artists have singles that flop (whether he wants to admit it or not lol) they get rid of them. Not in 50's case, as he keeps all 5 pre-album singles as well as the Interscope leaked Follow My Lead featuring Robin Thicke.

Hope you all enjoyed the review, if not... fuck it lol. Now, pardon me as I sit here in this waiting room and listen as their radio plays Carlton's favorite Tom Jones joint (yeah you know the one lol), peace.

*UPDATE*

After listening to this album a few times and hear at least 5 incredible songs that didn't even make the album I'm taking Curtis' rating down .5!

4/5 3.5/5

0 comments: