June 23, 2008

STFU Award: Kanye

Anybody that knows me knows I'm an equal opportunity critic and I get on anybody who says something dumb whether its Soulja Boy or whether its Kanye. I show no favoritism when it comes to public figures (or even regular ol' niggas) talkin' out the ass. Though it pains me to son my nigga 'Ye, I got out of my bed from a severe toothache because these following comments from a recent blog entry are so insanely moronic its almost sad. Check it out:

Soulja boy is fresh ass hell and is actually the true meaning of what hip hop is sposed to be. He came from the hood, made his own beats, made up a new saying, new sound and a new dance with one song. He had all of America rapping this summer. If that ain't Hip Hop then what is? A bunch of wannabe keep it real rappers that ain't even relevant, recycling samples trying to act like it's 96 again and all they do is hate on new shit? Niggas always talk about the golden age but for a 13 year old kid, this is the golden age!!! That song was so dope cause everything he said had a hidden meaning... that's Nas level shit... he just put it over some steel drums which is also some Nas shit if you had the 2nd album cassette with the bonus track "Silent Murder" on it. In closing... new niggas get ya money$$$$$$$$$$ Keep this shit fresh and original.... ain't no fuckin' rules to this shit and that's what real hip hop is to me.

Goodness, where do I start?!?!?

Okay, as you know I've stayed completely neutral on this whole Soulja Boy/Ice T fiasco. Partially because I've been so busy, partially because I've had this toothache, but mainly because I didn't care. The reason I don't care is because they're both wrong! Soulja Boy DID NOT kill Hip-Hop (alone...j/k lol) because were going through a dry spell a couple of years before he even popped up. If anything he's responsible for lowering standards even further and making the bottom of the barrel that much deeper, not killing the genre. Adversely Soulja Boy shouldn't get a pass for making terrible music just because he's 17 or because he's "gettin' money" and he damn sure shouldn't get one for talking down to a legend because his video was funny (I don't know because I never watched it...I told you I didn't care lol).

Back to Kanye: man, what the fuck are you talking about??? Seriously bro, "Nas level shit"?? Really?!? Now, I don't wanna shit on anybody's opinion and make it seem like I'm "hatin'" (though even vaguely comparing Soulja Boy to NAS could should be seen as hateful lol) because most of the shit I write is opinion based, but damn this whole line of thought fucked!

By saying, "that song was so dope cause everything he said had a hidden meaning," is a poor attempt to make Crank That seem like it was some well thought out lyrical track with ill metaphors that took time to figure out and brought excitement upon the realization of each's true meaning. I beg to differ. The only people who didn't know what that nigga was talking about were older, out of touch (mainly white) people. Seriously, who thought he was talking about a squirt gun when he said "Supersoak that ho"??? I'd simply say Crank That was a regular ass song with regular ass slang, not a record with "hidden meaning". Hell, even if you do consider Crank That as a song with a hidden meaning doesn't mean you can compare it to I Gave You Power or shit like that. Just because something is the same doesn't mean its on the same level Kanye. That's like saying every club song is good or bad, or that every conscious song is good or bad just because they fall in a certain category. On some real shit Kanye should be ashamed for even suggesting Soulja Boy was making tracks on or even near Nas' level.

The next thing I wanted to talk about is how is Kanye gonna trash niggas for "recycling samples" when samples are what he built is entire career off of?? I know his samples are "original" but at the end of the day they are still samples and you're not gonna tell me that he was the first person to use all of the ones he's used. That part is just beyond me.

Then wassup with him bashing people for trying to make it like its 96 when he keeps pulling shit from the 80s?? Like all these lil "hipster" niggas, I don't see how they're seen as original when they call are just trying to re-live the 80s. Oh yeah and what was so original about Crank That again??? If I'm not mistaken snap music was already out before 2007 and Soulja Boy didn't invent it or the concept of having a dance to go with your song (a dance compiled of a bunch of other people's dances might I add).

Believe it or not I did agree with Kanye in one regard and that's when he said, "for a 13 year old kid, this is the golden age." That's real shit right there that can't be disputed because most people born in the mid-90s don't care what Jay-Z, Biggie, Nas or Pac did 10-15 years ago or how classic their music was because this bullshit music of today is all they know. That's why I try not to get mad at the music industry for the trash of today because at the end of the day a business is in the business of making money so they're only gonna do what they feel they can sell. They're take a risk here in there, but its mostly about the bottom line. Like it or not, kids these days don't wanna hear about their history or injustices or the political system, they wanna hear money, hoes, and cars. That's not necessarily a good thing, but it is the truth of the matter.

However you put it or whatever your explanation, comparing what Soulja Boy does to anything that Nas does musically is just outrageous. I still love Kanye and think he's a great artist (though he joined the long list of rappers and singers on T-Pain's dick), but I can't rock with him on this so Mr. West seriously needs to STFU!

Besides, let Crank That had beat Good Life or Stronger out for a Grammy, VMA, or any award and Kanye would be singing a TOTALLY different tune right now lol.

0 comments: