March 20, 2008

Thursday Billboard Update - 3/20/08

Alicia Keys' As I Am finally exits the top 10 after a 17 week run and well over 3 million records sold. Now, to this week's big story: Rick Ross beat out Snoop for the #1 spot. I'm not surprised Ross sold 198,000 since I said he'd sell in between 175-225k, but Snoopy only doing 137,000 is fuckin' shocking! I thought he'd do 250,000 off just the name alone, which is why I excluded him from last week's This Week In Flops. I mean he did 264,000 first week with Blue Carpet Treatment and that came out the same day as Kingdom Come with the lead single Vato.

I guess I can take an L for that Snoop, but I think I took a bigger one with Fat Joe. I guessed Joe would do 130-160k (should've stuck with my 60-75k, I would've been a lot closer lol) after all his buzz and the renewed interest in him due to the whole 50/Papoose cross promotion thing, but I guess that strategy only works when you're under the Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit umbrella lol. Now, I admit I went a bit over, but the thing I wanna know is why is everyone always so surprised when Fat Joe drops and sells 40-somethin' thousand and feels the need to call him on his shit?? Its not like he's been putting out multi-platinum successes or has ever so why all the expectations?? I mean everyone does know he's on an independent, right?? Even more than that he's only went platinum once and that was back in 2001 with J.O.S.E. (and album I do own BTW lol). I was wrong, but I certainly wasn't surprised so I don't feel the need to ridicule him for flopping. I dunno maybe its just me lol.

Nothing much poppin' over here on Hot as 1-7 and 10 didn't change at all. Webbie's Independent is out and Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love is in after jumping 13 spots 21-8. My homegirl Whitney just told me about this chick earlier in the week and I had to ask her, 'why isn't this song dominating TRL right now,' BUT if this jump into the top 10 is any indicator then the reign is coming!!! We shall see lol.

The Billboard 200 1-10

1. Rick Ross - Trilla
2. Various Artists - NOW 27
3. Snoop Dogg - Ego Trippin'
4. Jack Johnson - Sleep Through Static
5. Alan Jackson - Good Time
6. Fat Joe - The Elephant In The Room
7. Sara Bareilles - Little Voice
8. Janet Jackson - Discipline
9. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah
10. Miley Cyrus - The Best Of Both Worlds Concert

I got nothing...again lol.

The Billboard Hot 100 1-10

1. Usher - Love In This Club (1-1)
2. Chris Brown - With You (2-2)
3. Flo Rida - Low (3-3)
4. Sara Bareilles - Love Song (4-4)
5. Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music (5-5)
6. Jordin Sparks - No Air (6-6)
7. Ray-J - Sexy Can I (7-7)
8. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love (21-8)
9. Timbaland - Apologize (8-9)
10. Lupe Fiasco - Superstar (10-10)

  • Lil Mama's Shawty Get Loose skies 73 spots 92-19 (lol @ Billboard.com saying its Shawty Lo's song). I was getting worried about this shit for 2 reasons: first off, usually (aka every time but now lol) when T-Pain raps on a song opposed to "singing" on its never done well. Then I got worried again because I hear it on the radio, commercials, and all that, but it was never showing up on Hot. Welp, now it has arrived and this is much further than Lip Glass ever got, I believe. Maybe her album will actually drop this time, no word on Yung Berg lol.
  • Sorry for the Lil Mama rant, but back to business: Rick Ross' Boss jumps 19 spots 60-41 this week.
  • Diddy should be a-damn-shamed that Danity Kane's single Damaged is JUST debuting on Hot this week! SMH. Oh yeah it came in at #64 with 31,000 downloads.

0 comments: