May 19, 2009

Busta Rhymes - Back On My B.S. (Review)

1) Wheel Of Fortune
The album gets off to a nice start with the DJ Scratch produced Wheel Of Fortune. This track is vintage Busta Rhymes from the Opera-style, "Back On My Bullshiiiiit," introduction, to the beat, to the flow and delivery. We're off to a strong start.

2) Give Em What They Askin For
I don't know if its just me, but it sounded like the hook came on about 17 times on this track. Just seemed like I was hearing the hook about the same, or even more than I was hearing verses. And while we're on the hook, I HATE that he used "something" 3 times as a rhyme ("Everybody was looking for one thing. Ya lookin' for something, well I got the something, now every single person that was looking for something...")! That's just a pet peeve of mine lol.

Anyway, as an overall song, this is the one that I always come back to listen to because Swizz Beatz KILLED this track (though people are saying Ron Browz produced it now but I'll believe it when I see it). It sounds good on the computer and on my phone, but it goes even harder in the car. Trust me! Now, Busta didn't murder it with the lyrics, but he also didn't say anything wack or corny in the verses (which is usually the downfall of tracks like this) so I co-sign this one.

3) Respect My Conglomerate
I still don't understand why they took Young Jeezy off of this track in exchange for Lil Wayne so he can say things like, "I know more about tree than squirrel," and, "I'll put you in dirt just because I see the worm in you," but I guess that's why I'm not working at a record label. To be fair to Wayne, his verse wasn't all bad (the "Hip-Hop is a bitch and I'm proud of this girl" line was hot), but Jeezy's verse was just more memorable. Its still a good song (not incredible, just good) either way so its all gravy.

4) Shoot For The Moon
I thought Lark On My Go-Kart was about to start when this came on lol. Anyway, Shoot For The Moon is another good, but not great song. I think it would've been better served closer to the end the album, if not the last track.

5) Hustler's Anthem '09
*Yawn* Oh, the tracks over?? Thank goodness, I was about to fall asleep on this boring ass uninspiring excuse for an anthem. Whoever thought this would be a good single should be fired, and whoever approved it should be too. T-Pain just stole Busta's money.

6) Kill Dem
Look at that muffin?? What a poor attempt at starting a new phrase trend (though I'm sure me and Andy will adopt it for comedic purposes lol). This song is a slap in the face to all Reggae/Dance Hall songs... well all the good ones at least. Hoes might like it though so who knows.

7) Arab Money
I can't believe there wasn't a bigger uproar about the offensiveness of this song. Ron Browz basically went in the booth, made some random, jibberish sounds, auto-tuned it, and said it was Arabian. They might as well had made another version with "ching-chong-ching" as the hook and called it "Asian Money". How about one with a bunch of random click consonants called "South African Money"?? No, no, wait, how about one with chicken frying and grease popping in the background called "Nigger Money"?? Okay, a bit too far there, but you get what I'm saying lol. Besides all that, its a very poor record with a very poor track behind it.

8) I'm A Go & Get My...
When this track starts off it seems really creative (even though "All About The Benjamins" came out in like 2001 and the joke isn't as funny anymore), but after while it gets cheesy and annoying. Mike Epps lil skit at the end was hilarious though, so I'll give it points for that, but overall this track was lacking across the board.

9) We Want In
Q: What's worse than getting ripped off by T-Pain for a lackluster hook??
A: Getting ripped off by a poor man's version of T-Pain (aka Ron Browz) for a lackluster hook, of course!

Oh, and is there anything LESS gangsta than doing the "su-woo" Blood gang call in auto-tune?? I'm just saying...

10) We Miss You
This track isn't bad by any means, but I don't get the positioning of it. Why put a song about the hood missing you and wanting you back as the 10th track on a 14 track album?? To be fair to Busta, it wouldn't have sounded right at the beginning, but its not fiyah to the point it HAS to make the album. Not to mention he already spit that 2nd verse on the radio in January. Oh, and the auto-tune on this album is on overkill at this point.

11) Sugar
Sugar is a cool track and after some of the other shit on the album its welcomed. It does seem a bit forced like somebody was said, "Yo Bus, we need a song for the ladies," though.

12) Don't Believe Em
I don't know if its because Akon is on the hook, the Don't Believe Em is a tad generic. Its weird because T.I. and Busta both ripped their verses. Oh well, its still pretty hot so its definitely a plus for this album.

13) Decision
I think this will be the census choice as the best track on the album, and I'd have to agree. Its hard to pull off these star-studded songs, but everyone fit perfectly and nobody stepped on anyone's toes. Decision is ideal.

14) World Go Round
This would've been a better spot for Shoot For The Moon because do you really want your album to end on this note?? The beat on this shit is horrendous! I'm convinced this might have been a half way decent track if it was done over another beat. I liked the melody of Estelle's hook, but other than that I can't fuck with this Flo Rida-type bullshit.

In the end, Back On My B.S. had its up (Decision) and had its downs (World Go Round). This is Busta's worst album by far. There was just too much bullshit on here and not enough content. Its like he went too mainstream and it really ruined the whole album. That's really messed up too because a near-classic like Big Bang doesn't deserve a follow up like this.

2.75/5