May 21, 2009

I Finally Heard Birthday Sex!

(Keep in mind, I was gonna include this in today's TBU because Birthday Sex finally cracked the top 10, but once I got started I couldn't be stopped and it ran a bit long.)

Okay, so I finally heard this song Birthday Sex by Jeremih that is speeding up the Hot 100 and being raved about by everyone and my verdict is that its pretty nice... outside of the hook and the beginning of the first verse. Seriously, what the fuck was going on there?? How am I gonna make love to that?? I wanna make love to smooth, passionate shit, not no damn "you know I, I, I, I, I." I don't think its as much the lyric as it is the way he sung it, but either way I'm not feelin' it (as in that part of the song).

Here's a bombshell ladies and gentlemen: R&B is damn near as lost, if not more so, as Hip-Hop. Nothing against Jeremih, I'm sure he's a fantastic singer, but R&B's inability to produce a consistent stream of real love making music is just sad. Again, that statement has nothing to do with Jeremih as a singer, and I don't blame him for following the times, but when are we gonna get a hit R&B record that can be considered "baby making music" again?? Well, at least this song blowing up is a step in the right direction so I applaud the kid (though I think he should trying singing more like Jeremih and less like The-Dream).

Back to the Birthday Sex record: How does this shit NOT have a video out by now?? I mean, couldn't you just whip something together real quick with Jeremih and some random beautiful girl in a luxurious penthouse suite in New York steaming it up because of the rapid pace this record is moving at?? Really, how much time, energy, and money would it take to make a video for a song called Birthday Sex?? Its not like we need him having a high speed car chase or even to send him to some exotic island. The concept is pretty cut and dry, you could shoot it in one day! Who's working at these fucking labels???? If this was my guy and I was working his record, there's no way I wouldn't have had a video made 3 weeks ago when this song first started to catch on. Now its a top 10 record and doesn't even have a presence on 106 & Park. Sad.

All is not lost though, they could shoot a lil video real quick now and once the record starts to slip the least bit at radio, you send the kid to 106 and deliver the video. Boom, you're right back in the game, a la Jamie Foxx and Blame It . We'll see if the brains at Def Jam can recover.

Speaking of Foxx and Blame It, the kid Jeremih breaks up his record breaking 13 week streak at #1 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Congrats.