January 15, 2011

NFL Winners & Losers: Divisional Round

I went a pathetic 1-3 last weekend, so I don't know if I should even be writing this today. Fuck it, I'll just try to keep it short. Oh, and of course try to avoid all the cliché BS you've been hearing all week.

Saturday Games

Reed vs. Polamalu
Ravens (13-4) @ Steelers (12-4)
How does this game end up in the first Saturday game slot?? In all likelihood this is going to be the best game of the weekend, and you have it batting first?? That's like having Jay-Z open up for Rick Ross.

Anyway, Joe Flacco's Ravens are the shit in games against the Steelers that Ben Roethlisberger doesn't play in. Unfortunately for them, Ben is indeed playing in this one. Steelers winners, Ravens losers.

Matthews vs. Ryan
Packers (11-6) @ Falcons (14-2)
How about that James Starks kid? As I stated last week, my biggest concern about the Packers going into the playoffs was their inability to run the ball, but now that Starks has descended upon them like a gift from God, the sky is the limit.

I know Matt Ryan is the shit in the Georgia Dome, but I said the winner of Packers-Eagles would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, so I'm gonna ride that out. Packers winners, Falcons losers.

Sunday Games

Hasselbeck vs. Cutler
Seahawks (8-9) @ Bears (11-5)
Oddly enough, this was the hardest game for me to pick. Actually, I still haven't decided who I'm taking as I type this.

On one hand you have Seattle, these guys shouldn't even have been in the playoffs, let alone the 2nd round. By all accounts, they suck, but somehow they're here.

On the other hand you have Chicago, easily the luckiest team of the 2010 season. They have a great defense, but this is Jay Cutler's first playoff game, in his first winning season as a full-time starter (that includes his college career).

Even before Bill Simmons mentioned it in his column yesterday, this game reminded me of Cardinals-Panthers in the divisional round 2 years ago. Think about it, this game has all the same elements: the crappy NFC West team that only made the playoffs because they play in the NFC West, the overrated #2 seed, the old QB that has caught fire, the turnover prone QB, the 10 point spread, and the Julius Peppers. We all know how that one ended. Seahawks winners, Bears losers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Jets (12-5) @ Patriots (14-2)
When I was making these head-to-head pictures for the games, I originally came up with this one of Dollar Bill Sell-a-trick and Foot Sex Rex Ryan for Jets-Pats. Then the big story of the week became Antonio Cromartie besmirching the golden name of Tom Brady, so I went with the one you see above.

Really, I'm just making small talk because the Patriots are going to win this game and we all know it. Mark Sanchez was overthrowing his receivers in the control environment of Lucas Oil Stadium, what is he gonna do out in the cold at Gillette?? The Jets don't stand a chance. Patriots winners, Jets losers.

This Week: 2-2 (.500)
Playoff Record: 3-5 (.375)
Overall Record: 157-107 (.595)
Last Week: 1-3 (.250)
Regular Season Record: 154-102 (.602)