August 21, 2009

Cowboys Open Up New Stadium With A Win

Cowboys win!
I'm not gonna lie, before the game started I was a bit nervous, last week our reserves looked like crap and we got spanked by Oakland. Now that the game is over I'm even more excited about the season than I was before.

Tony Romo and the first team offense played the entire first half in the first football game in Cowboy Stadium and looked crisp while doing so. Romo was 18/24 for 192 yards and looks poised for a big season. They definitely don't seem as explosive as they did a year ago, but there are so many weapons that you kinda have to spread the wealth around some. You have Barber, Witten, Felix, Roy, Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Bennett, just so many weapons. I was very pleased with how the first team offense looked, especially in the 2 minute drill. I could only imagine how much more dominant we'd look if T.O. was still on the roster.

The first team defense also played the entire first half, but they didn't have to put in much work because they looked super good tonight. I mean, I don't know if it was the Titans offsense being that bad or our defense being that good, but they only had the ball for about 7 or 8 minutes in the first half (they actually had the ball for 19 minutes while we had it for 40 and I like that split). Maybe less. It was 3 and out after 3 and out besides the touchdown drive in which Mike Jenkins blew his assignment. Better to get it out the way in preseason than the regular season when it counts.

As far as the reserves go I was pretty pleased tonight. The back ups never let the Titans get off like they let the Raiders get off last week which was great. Jon Kitna looked nice with the second team offense going 9/12 for 111 yards and a touchdown toss to Kevin Olgetree. Speaking of Olgetree, I think we've found our new 5th receiver! The kid looked damn good AND I'm sure he'd not as injury prone as Isaiah Stanback.

Special teams looks pretty decent too, could have been better though. Nick Folk missed a 49 yard field goal that he would've hit with his eyes closed in 2007 and I'm starting to see why they drafted David Buehler for insurance. There were also a few muffed punts which CANNOT happen in the regular season. Another concern is that huge jumbotron thing in the center of the new stadium. That thing is waaaaay too low and Tennessee's punter actually hit it once during the game and 4 times in a row before the game. Something is gonna have to be done about that at some point.

Oh yeah too many penalties too! 13 for 113 yards is just too much, even for a preseason game.

Overall, I was extremely happy with the performance put forth in the official first game in Cowboys Stadium. I still think we'll lose to the Giants in the actually opener in the regular season, but this win will help take away a little bit of the pain lol.