October 30, 2009

Beanie Sigel - What You Talkin' Bout (Jay-Z Diss)

Beans & Jay
It was just my luck last night I decided to get off the computer early and start on my Week 8 picks and this Beans diss record for Jay pops up. I'm a huge Roc-A-Fella fan so its a sad day for me, but lets get to it.


Real ass record. After hearing this and that interview with Charlamagne Tha God, I feel bad for Beans more than anything else right now. He doesn't sound angry or like he's doing this to profit off it, he sounds hurt. He feels like his brother disowned him and he had to release, and I feel him on that. I love Jay-Z, but there's no excuse for there not to be a direct way for Beanie Sigel to contact you, and if there is, then you should be at least be contacting him. Not going to see him in jail is indefensible, not saying you'd be responsible for him if the judge released him is indefensible. I don't care how big of a Jay-Z fan you are, you can't argue that.

Now what I don't understand is how it got this far?? From the shit Beans was saying about Jay not really being there for him, and him not being able to contact Jay, and Jay not really giving him much game, I'm trying to figure where the bond and all this love was built?? From what Beans said, I don't see it. It seems to me as Beans took that rap talk that rappers do on records (you know all that "I'll do this for such and such because he's my nigga" or "I'll ride for such and such if its beef") seriously and built a bond off that rather than by real human interaction. I mean seriously, going strictly off what Beans said on the song and in the intereview, how else would that bond have been built?? If Jay stole your single, dropped his own singles when you were dropping yours, put his own song on your album and released it as a single for you, wasn't paying you right, and didn't open up a line of contact for you then how did it get to this point??

From where I'm standing, it seems to me that Jay felt he was in competition with Beans more so than feeling like they were fam. It also seems like Beans built his bond with Jay from being a fan of his music (evident by him being about to quote damn near every time Jay mentioned his name in a record) more than by having a real relationship with him. That's not Beans' fault, but that's just how it seems after hearing what he said.

With all that being said, I seriously doubt if Jay responds to this. Maybe he does an interview with Angie Martinez or Funk Flex, but that's about it. I don't think there's gonna be a diss record back or even subliminals on some Lost One or What We Talkin' Bout shit. And that's even if Beans keeps going in on him.

All this aside, I'm still a Jay-Z fan because the guy makes good music. Its not about overlooking shit with me, its about the music. Its about the music now, and its always been about the music. Does it help to be likeable?? Of course, but no matter what, its always gonna be about the music.